Author Topic: We need help with the noisy toy meltdowns!  (Read 1823 times)

Offline MommaBrooke

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
We need help with the noisy toy meltdowns!
« on: January 23, 2011, 18:46:50 pm »
Hi everyone!
I was hoping to get some ideas on how to introduce noisy toys to dd so she doesn't have meltdowns when she hears the sounds.  She's always been very touchy, so I know this might be extra hard, but she has a few toys she got as gifts recently that I'm afraid she'll never be able to use!  Right now she has a toy rattle that is in the shape of a dragonfly that she loves, it lights up and makes noises, so I know she can like noisy toys.  She also has a toy horse that makes horse noises that she tolerates, but the horse noises certainly don't make her happy...If I could at least get her to tolerate the other noise making toys I would be happy!  Is it possible to introduce the toys in some way so she doesn't freak out?  Should I just not even try?  Are there any toys that make sounds that you have found better for your baby?  I really want to get her used to noises, I'm starting to think that my family thinks that I shelter her too much, but she's just not comfortable at all on any level with unfamilliar things so she ends up freaking out a lot.  I definitely appreciate any ideas that you may have!

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: We need help with the noisy toy meltdowns!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 19:58:58 pm »
She's still so young - I would leave the noisy toys for now, they can be so overstimulating especially for a touchy one. In a few months time she will love them.

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 20:07:41 pm »
i agree with anna.  HTH

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 20:10:23 pm »
I agree with Anna - there's plenty of time for her to grow into the noisy things.  If it is a real problem with your relatives, you could try getting ones with a volume control so that you can show it to her on the quiet setting, and you might also want to let her play with it while it is turned off so that she can get used to the toy without the noise and then introduce the noise at a later date.

dd2 is touchy, and we did sometimes have trouble with noisy toys when she was little (she tended to get overwhelmed), but she has grown out of it - it is a question of patience.

Offline MommaBrooke

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 01:02:08 am »
Thanks for the advice!  To be honest I was about to put the toys away forever, lol.  Good to know she may grow into the toys.  I realized it was going to be a problem when I was taking one out of the package in front of her and i accidentally pushed one of the buttons, her bottom lip stuck out and she started wailing, haven't tried any of them, since :)