Author Topic: How much solids?  (Read 1047 times)

Offline newmama12

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
How much solids?
« on: January 24, 2011, 19:48:15 pm »
I just started my 6 month old on solids. How much and how often do I give it to him? Should he be doing 3 'meals' a day? Maybe an ounce or so each?
~Cyndie
Mom to my Spirited DD (5) and Textbook DS (23 months) :)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 21:03:43 pm »
When we first started we just did solids once a day, generally in the morning. Then after a few weeks added lunch. By 7.5-8 months we were on three meals a day and added snacks came later. I used to be quite worried about amounts and gave 1-2 ice cubes of solids per meal but after a while I realised she would stop when she had enough so didn't worry about quantity too much. The trick is to make sure it's not interfering with the amount of milk they are taking. We did drop from 4-3 milk feeds about 9 months when there was alot of dairy in her diet.  My DD1 really liked solids and did eat a fair bit without milk being affected. We did finger foods from early on too!

HTH xx

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 00:49:48 am »
Hi there!  I think that how fast you introduce more meals and how much you offer depends on you and your baby.  There is no right or wrong.  I think DS1 was on 3 meals within a few weeks of starting solids as I felt comfortable moving fairly quickly with him.  You can offer as much as he likes, but like Shiv mentioned you don't want him to drop his milk intake as that is still more important than solids.  Make sure you are offering milk first so he is not filling up on solids.  HTH :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012