Author Topic: Low IgE so no RASTs?  (Read 1025 times)

Offline pinkism

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • who needs milk anyway?!
Low IgE so no RASTs?
« on: January 24, 2011, 21:11:44 pm »
Hi just recieved a letter from peads outpatient re my 13mo DS bloods.
He has a history of reactions (urticaria/vomiting/diarroea/hysterics) with dairy, egg, sesame and spinach.

Finally got bloods done at 12mo including coeliac as I have coeliac and he 'looks' coelic shaped IYKWIM.
Report says coeliac test negative and low IgE levels so RAST tests not done.
His iron levels have come back as v low despite a really good diet so he's now on iron supps.

Not sure what this means and not got his next appt til May which is with allergy clinic and includes my epipen practice.

Is this all good news or should they have done the tests?
Wondering if his IgE levels would be lowered by avoidance of dairy for 4 months (since milk challenge when weaning off BF) and egg for >6mo. He only came into skin contact (my touch on his torso) once with sesame about 6mo and got hives. Has never near nuts/shellfish which were added to the RAST list in the clinic.

Have had problems with this hospital in the first place when they originally gave useless advice (continue all diet and review in 6mo, had big reaction and got referred to big paeds hospital who gave pepti-J, advised give NO known allergens and referred back for continuing care).

Not sure what to do next...

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Low IgE so no RASTs?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 21:14:02 pm »
I'm not super-knowledgeable here but wanted to follow this thread.

I know there can be false negatives. I also know that this test is for outright allergic reactions, but intolerances don't show up the same as allergies.

Watch out for constipation with iron supplements - or at least don't be surprised by it.

Offline pinkism

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • who needs milk anyway?!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 21:22:36 pm »
Thanks for reading deb, we always thought it was allergy rather than intolerance because of the urticaria but hey who knows anymore.
Only got the letter today which confused me because the phone message my FIL gave me was that it was all negative and to try him on dairy and eggs before the allergy clinic appt.
So we tried and am so happy to say he has grown out of his dairy allergy/intolerance. Tried egg baked in a cake around his first birthday (after we got the results) and had a bit of hard boiled egg for lunch today...his first actual egg, so far so good.
Am scared to let him near sesame/nuts/shellfish though if they havent even tested him.

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 21:25:14 pm »
I have a friend whose highly-allergic DD was until recently allergic to eggs and dairy, then could have them cooked for a certain amount of time, but can now have them straight up. Cooking apparently changes the protein somewhat.

I'd hold off on the other stuff till you can be totally sure of the trigger.

There may also be an environmental trigger. We still don't know what's causing my older DD's occasional local skin rashes despite having changed to scent-free and dye-free detergents and soaps, but stuff that local isn't as likely to be a food trigger.

scarlettsmom

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 02:55:16 am »
Congratulations on the great results with the dairy and eggs!!!  That's fantastic!   ;D ;D

Gwynnie's IgE was low and we never did RAST either.  They also skipped scratch testing with us and did patch testing which is more suitable for intolerances.  However, Gwynnie never had hives or any other obvious allergy symptom, hers were almost all GI related, along with congestion.

Completely agree with Deb on holding off on the other stuff for a while though.

Keeping fingers crossed that the good news continues!!