Author Topic: How much milk should LO be having since starting solids  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Cravenwam

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How much milk should LO be having since starting solids
« on: January 24, 2011, 21:18:22 pm »
My DS was breast fed till 5 and a half months when I made the decision to stop and start feeding solids. He has always taken a bottle well so the week before we started on solids he was taking 5 x 7oz bottles in 24 hours and fed very well.
He is now having rice cereal/veg/fruit 3 times a day. Not a huge amount, 1 teaspoon on baby rice with one ounce of milk mixed with a small muffin amount of either fruit or veg.
I have followed BW advise to give the milk as the E and solids as first part of A but I can not get him to take anywhere near as much milk. I get that it will drop a bit due to the solids intake but he has gone from 35oz (no solids) to 20-25 oz (since starting solids) is this ok?
He still wakes once in the night for a feed and takes a full 7oz then. He goes to bed at 7.30 and sleeps till anywhere between 3-5 then sleeps till 8.  He is really enjoying his solids.
He is teething at the moment but is very happy and content so I'm probably worrying about nothing. He weighs about 16lbs ( he will be 6 months on feb 7th) Just wanted some reassurance he is having  enough milk.
Thanks v much 

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: How much milk should LO be having since starting solids
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 23:19:23 pm »
If he's cutting back on milk at this age, I would drop a meal of solids and/or drop the amount at each meal until the milk is back up to the previous volume. In the beginning, solids really need to be an addition to - rather than a replacement for - milk intake.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 00:53:20 am »
Here is a link that might be helpful:  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=57483.0
You definitely want to make sure your LO is getting the adequate amount of milk for his age and not filling up on solids first.  Remember too that milk/formula used in cereal counts towards his milk intake as well.  HTH :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Cravenwam

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 17:43:14 pm »
Thanks v much, that link was helpful. He has done a bit better today but he won't drink his bottle in one go but will go back to it an hour later and finish it off. That's fine by me (although time consuming) as long as he gets his milk intake. I've dropped the evening feed and am just giving him a 9am solid and a 3pm solid and will reintroduce the 3 a day once the milk is sorted. :)