Author Topic: Really need some help with finger foods for nearly 9 month old  (Read 1069 times)

Offline lossthewill

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Really need some help with finger foods for nearly 9 month old
« on: January 26, 2011, 18:24:49 pm »
Hi all,

I really want to start encouraging given my daughter finger food, I started with some of thoes crisps that melt in the mouth things, she would just throw them! I was thinking that she may prefer fruit, I know this sounds like a silly question but how do babies know not to swallow a bit piece? Would you reccomend cooked apples or maybe banana, how large should the piece be? Also I see that people give toast, does this have to be any special type of bread or will all sorts be okay? I have had ALOT of gagging on solids so have a bit of a phobia now regarding finger foods  :-\ and keep putting it off  ::)

Many thanks for any advice x

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
Re: Really need some help with finger foods for nearly 9 month old
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 18:32:35 pm »
Here is a helpful link:  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=70142.0

Cooked apples and banana are both good choices.  :)  You can try giving large chunks of foods she can hold on to and chew on, or if she has a good pincher grasp you can try pea sized pieces for her to pick up.

When starting out with fingers foods, babies don't know how to chew or swallow.  That comes with practice, and there is often some gagging involved.  This is totally normal and is not the same as choking.  With time and practice you will notice her start to be able to handle these foods better.  The important thing is to not panic when she does gag.  I assure you it's scarier for you than it is for her.

There are no special kinds of bread to give to your baby, but I guess common sense it to aim for more healthier varieties.

Try not to worry, now is a good time to start finger foods, and the sooner she gets going with it, the sooner you'll be able to give her all kinds of new things!  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Danielsmommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Really need some help with finger foods for nearly 9 month old
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 13:52:50 pm »
Hi, I posted a similar question about 2 weeks ago and got lots of good advice.  My DS was also gaging while eating lumpy foods and I was nervous about finger foods.  It's been slow going but he now loves banana, grapes, blueberries, kiwi and cheese.  We are working on chicken, potatoes, carrotts and eggs.  He has just started to actually put his toast in his mouth but doesn't eat much of it.  The only problem is, most of what I've given his is fruit so its slimy and he doesn't like to touch it.  But I cut it up into pea size pieces, put it on his tray for him to "play" with and feed him some with my fingers. I've been told I can roll the food in his dry cereal so it isn't as slipery but haven't done it yet.

Martina had commented on my question and she is completly correct, try not to panic if/when he gags.  My Ds hasn't gaged near as much as I though he would and once he's had the food a few times he's pretty good.  And if he does gag, he just wants a drink of water and is usally ready for more.

Good luck :)