Author Topic: Tips for taking 5mth old swimming for first time  (Read 2003 times)

Offline skibunny

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Tips for taking 5mth old swimming for first time
« on: January 26, 2011, 21:00:35 pm »
Hi,

I am planning to take my son to the baby pool next week when he will be 5mths old.

It will be the first time Ive taken him to a pool. Going to have my husband with me to give me a hand as Ive never done it before.

Does anyone have any tips for how to get baby ready for the pool and then after the pool? Anything I should be made aware of?

Thanks!

ps. I have bought disposable swim nappies.

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
Re: Tips for taking 5mth old swimming for first time
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 21:30:48 pm »
We just made sure after that we showered babe down really well and used lotion/oil to get some moisture back into his skin. The second time we took DS into the pool he screamed when we got into the water. We took him into the hot tub for about two minutes and then back into the pool and he was fine. I think it raised his body temperature so he wasn't cold. Other then that, nothing much!

Have fun!!

Offline mokey_cat

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 21:40:44 pm »
We took a towel right to the side of the pool because as soon as we got out DD would be so so cold and scream the place down (Very stressful  :P)  I also put her swimming costume and swimming nappy on before we left (the pool is only around the corner though) so as soon as we got there, we were pretty much ready to get in.  Go into the pool slowly and hold him really close to you as it can be quite daunting for a LO first time round.  We bought a little float thing she could sit in which was great because she could kick her legs in the water and still feel secure.

When you get out and showered, he will probably be really tired.  DD fell asleep while I was dressing her so maybe arrange for him to have a sleep soon after or maybe in the car/buggy or however you are getting home.

Have fun though, its good to get him swimming so young!!  Im sure he will love it!!

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 21:49:27 pm »
When DS was that young, I didn't bother with the shower there, I always saw Mums traumatizing their LO's with baby screaming, Mum frustrated, so that I vowed I would never do that! We would bath together once home in the comfort/familiarity of our house straight after. (but once he was walking at 10.5 months, we started showering/rinsing off there btw)

I would dry him off the best I could out in the pool area as the changing rooms are even chillier! Then I would dress him in real cozy, warm clothes. I found it handy at our club they had a playpen so I could lay him down once dressed on his blanket playing with his little soft toy things whilst I got dressed, dried my hair sometimes, if not towel dried  etc...do they have that? You need to be hands free. You could bring your car seat in too for after when they are ready to chill and be carried away, always a good nap in car after too!

I brought hats for us both in autumn/winter/spring months as hair is damp for going out to car.

Have fun.

Offline skibunny

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 21:19:57 pm »
Thanks for all the advice!

I dont think the leisure centre im going to has a playpen, although Ive seen them in some changing rooms in gyms.

Would be really handy as Im not sure where I could place baby when Im getting ready.

Thats why my husband is coming with me - its a family changing area.

Offline Bex09

• Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 21:31:28 pm »
I took the change mat from our change bag and a big towel and wrapped my DD up in it so she couldn't wriggle away or get cold and then put her on the mat when I got dressed and then dressed her after. She is too big now though and crawls away! lol. Or you could get out first and get dressed while your DH keeps your LO in the pool.