Author Topic: HELP needed sleep training 13 month old!  (Read 13711 times)

Offline FroggyMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
Re: HELP needed sleep training 13 month old!
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 03:18:13 am »
Hi guys!  It's been awhile since I posted on this thread, but I have still been continuing on with the GW sleep training and am back to give an update and ask for some more advice!!!

We have now been doing GW for 7 weeks!!!  Whew, this seems like a long time when I type it out and think about it; however, it is been going GREAT!!!  DS has responded much better than I thought he would.  In 7 weeks, we have gone from DS needing to be rocked to sleep every time he woke up to DS falling asleep independently!  We have gone from maybe 6-7 wake ups every night where he had to be rocked back to sleep....to usually 1 wake-up at the most (where he can usually put himself back to sleep!)...and sometimes none!  Yea!!!  :)

So, now for the questions.....

I started out on a mattress by the crib in his room (lying on the side closest to him so I could hold his hand, pat, etc.).  I did this for 2 weeks until he got comfortable and quit reaching for my hand to fall asleep.  Then, I moved to the other side of the mattress (where he couldn't reach me, but could see and hear me) for 2 more weeks.  Once he was again comfortable, I moved to sitting right by his door and not talking to him as much anymore.  For example, I may say our sleep phrase to get him to lie down.  Then, he will usually fall asleep as long as he can just see me (may need to say a few more times some nights but never have to go over to him).  This has been going on for 2.5 - 3 weeks.  The past couple of nights...I have tried to tell him I had to go do something, and I'd be right back to see what he would do.  Sometimes, he whines for me to come back.  Sometimes, he is quiet, but stands in his crib like he is not going to lay back down until I come back!!!

I am nervous because I feel like we are to the point where I need to try to move out of the room now but do not know how he will respond.  Do I just sit right outside his door and still talk to him?  Do I sit where he can see me...or not see me?

Also, have any of you Mommy's out there had a hard time "letting go" of your baby while at the same time knowing that you are teaching them to sleep independently because that is what is best for them???  I finally made the decision to do GW because everyone's lack of sleep was not healthy for anyone!  However, since I have been sleeping on the mattress in DS's room, I have never been apart from him at night in 16 months!!!!  I am having a hard time letting go and allowing him to be independent.  I know it is time for me to leave the mattress and head back to my room.....but I'm just having a tough time doing so!!!  Any words or encouragement or understanding out there?

Thanks for everything!!!  :)

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 19:40:28 pm »
{{{{{HUGS}}}}} Sweetie!!

I have no advice, but I can offer support.  That is a long time for both of you and it is hard to let go.  This is probably one of the last "baby" things you do.  They grow so fast-it is mind boggling!!

You have given your LO a lifelong gift...I myself really just learned how to sleep properly by teaching my kids.  It has been a wonderful learning experience from them.  I have had an easier time falling asleep by basically making myself have a WD routine.  I fought falling asleep for my whole life!  In fact I remember as a child my mom and grandma trying to figure out how to *make * me fall asleep for years! (I was spirited I am sure!)
Just think..your LO will not have to go 35+ yrs to learn how to fall asleep...such a gift!
:-*

Offline FroggyMom

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 21:04:38 pm »
Sarah, thanks for your support!  You are right....it has been a long time for both of us and VERY hard to let go!  I almost teared up when you said this was probably one of the last baby things I will do for him....awwww!!!

I agree that teaching your LO how to fall asleep independently is a lifelong gift!  That is so neat how you learned right along with your children....amazing!

Thanks so much for your encouragement!  :)

Offline FroggyMom

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 21:08:21 pm »
So....update on the first night/nap trying gradual withdrawal from a chair outside of DS's room...

Last night, we did our regular bedtime routine.  We then said our prayers, kissed him goodnight, and placed him in his crib.  I told him I needed to look at something and sat in a chair right outside his door.  I tried to be out of his line of sight but still talk to him.  He whined and did not like this and was standing up at the crib.  I then moved closer to the door where he could both SEE and HEAR me for a bit and this helped.  It took him almost 30 min to fall asleep (had previously been falling asleep in about an average of 15 min). 

For nap today, I did the same thing as last night.  It mostly went the same way.  It took him 24 min to fall asleep.

Nothing else about his schedule has changed other than this.  So, am I to conclude that it is taking him longer to fall asleep because he may be anxious that I've moved outside his room? 

Any words of advice on how to proceed?

Thanks!  :)

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 02:04:45 am »
I think keep doing what you are doing.  It is just the next step and will take a little getting used to just like the other steps.

I might just see how things go if you are out of sight, then back in sight to settle and then back out of sight if he settles. That would be a little more like wi/wo but just not going away.
What do you think?

Offline FroggyMom

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 17:39:47 pm »
Sarah, I agree with what you suggested and have been doing that with DS.  It is just the next step and will take a little getting used to like the other steps.  I was just a little worried when we first made the switch because it was taking him longer to fall asleep again.

However, I am sitting out of his line of sight for the most part, leaning my head in and talking to him as needed.  He is back to falling asleep in an average of about 15 minutes.  He is doing good at this stage just like all the others.  I am amazed at how flexible LO's can be and how quick they can learn new routines!  :)