Author Topic: 4 days no poop  (Read 1999 times)

Offline aidenmc

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
4 days no poop
« on: January 30, 2011, 00:20:03 am »
So we started solids at 6 months with our 6.5 mo refluxer. We have been having a lot of trouble finding things that don't bung him up. He is currently only getting pears and prunes. He hasn't pooped in 4 days. Prior to this he didn't go for 2 days and was very unhappy when he went. We since removed grains and sweet potatoes, but we are still having issues. At least I think they are issues. Does anyone know what is normal when starting solids? Previously on just breastmilk he was going many times a day. Should he not be going at least once a day?

Also he has been spitting up a lot more recently. Wondering if this is related?
Becky,
Mom to Kieran (10/15/2000); Aiden, (7/ 8/ 2005); and Samuel (7/10/2010)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 02:43:35 am »
Does he seem uncomfortable, or do you notice that he is straining to go but can't?  I don't think it's totally unusual when starting solids, but if he was going multiple times previously then I might start to wonder if something was going on.  I know both my guys slowed down a bit starting solids, but only 2 days max. 

Here are a couple links you might find helpful:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54820.0
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=157413.0

If your baby is generally happy and doesn't seem affected, then I would keep going with the laxative foods and wait and watch.  But if he seems uncomfortable then maybe a trip to the doctor wouldn't hurt.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline sarahjoy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: 4 days no poop
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 16:18:02 pm »
My lo's poops have spread out a lot since starting solids.  He's gone 4 days without pooping, so don't worry!  Our doc actually told us that babies can go a week sometimes and be fine, especially if he's still mostly eating breast milk.  My lo has regulated to going every 2-3 days but that has taken a while for sure.  And my lo also spit up more as we were starting solids but mostly just in the evening, that has since stopped on it's own.

I agree with Martina just watch him and keep doing what you're doing.

Offline aidenmc

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 17:38:36 pm »
Good to know Sarah. He's constipated again these days - seems he still can't tolerate the grains very well, although I suspect the reflux meds may be contributing to it. Sometimes he will not go for many days and it will be okay. Other times, it will be just a couple of days but hard and painful.
Becky,

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 18:02:13 pm »
Are you still avoiding grains?  Offering things like prunes, pears, etc.?  Hope it doesn't cause too many troubles for the poor guy.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline aidenmc

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 18:24:36 pm »
We had added back a bit of oatmeal after he seemed to be having decent poops. He also gets the odd rice rusk and bits of hard bread to chew, but he doesn't really swallow much of that. Aside from that he mostly gets pears, then prunes, then we dabble with other fruits/veg. But really we are moving pretty slowly. I think we will take out the oatmeal again and see if that helps.
Becky,

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 18:46:59 pm »
Good luck.  I know some LO's just have slower systems than others so sometimes you have to progress carefully.  I suppose if you feel the constipation is becoming a constant problem, you can talk to his doctor, and also maybe post on the health boards.  I know lots of other mommies with LOs who have had troubles with this, and they could probably give you some more tips.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline aidenmc

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 00:49:06 am »
I did talk with the doctor a couple of weeks ago. She said she is not worried if we progress slowly with the solids. But S really likes them and I think would love to eat a lot more finger food than he is getting.
Becky,

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 01:29:19 am »
Do you offer water as well?  That could help a bit if he will drink some.

You can try pears in finger food form.  I would go ahead and start giving him more finger foods if that's what he's interested in.

How is he with an open cup?  I wonder if you could try making him a little smoothie, just with some pears, a bit of water or breastmilk, some yogurt (can he have dairy?), some frozen blueberries and add a bit of psyllium fibre to it as well which is good for constipation.  If he can slurp it out of a cup then it's worth a shot.  I make one for me and DS1 every day and have started giving DS2 some as well.

Also maybe try some probiotics as well.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline aidenmc

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 01:48:58 am »
We haven't been doing the cup as much as we should. He's not all that interested in water or diluted white grape juice. Although he may prefer an open cup to a sippy. Will try the smoothie idea without the yogurt (we are off dairy). Will also try probiotics. I do feel we need some way to regularize things so that we can move forward a bit more with these foods. I see no other reactions so far other than constipation (and maybe a bit more reflux with peaches).
Becky,

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 01:54:12 am »
I think you will see some improvements soon.  DS2 started to tolerate a better variety of foods around 8mos and we started incorporating dairy back in around then.  Not saying you should (his intolerances seemed really mild), but you may find that his gut does mature a bit more over the next coming weeks which will hopefully open more doors for you.

The probiotics should really help but you will have to look for ones that are dairy free as a lot of them contain it.  :P  Maybe this is something your doctor could help you with, but if you can talk to one a naturopath would really be able to help recommend an appropriate one.

Definitely try the open cup.  Even if it spills a lot at first, they learn pretty quickly.  It would really help if you can get some more fluids into him.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline aidenmc

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 02:34:10 am »
Thanks Martina. I feel I now have more strategies to try. I am hopeful his system will mature soon. We are starting acupuncture as well to see if it will help, but a naturopath might be a good idea. His gut has just been so sensitive (gas, reflux, weird poops, you name it) and I'm pretty sure it's partly responsible for his terrible sleeping at night. DS 2 was similar (had terrible gas and reflux and probably intolerances as well), and his sleep was bad, but not as bad as ds3  ::).
Becky,

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 02:35:25 am »
I think a naturopath will have some good ideas for you.  They tend to think outside the box when medical doctors don't.  Best of luck!!  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010