Author Topic: Almost 4 month old eating 42 ounces a day. Ready for solids?  (Read 8629 times)

Offline lesliemarie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 24
Almost 4 month old eating 42 ounces a day. Ready for solids?
« on: January 26, 2011, 22:13:27 pm »
My DD will be 4 months on Feb 7th and she is now up to 42 ounces a day.  It is just crazy the amount of formula she is eating.  She is putting on weight really well (put on 4 pounds in December alone). 

Anyway, I'm wondering if this is a sign she is ready to start solids soon.  She already has a little bit of apple puree twice a day to take the Losec for her reflux and has done really well with it.  Her tongue thrust reflex is gone.  She is always watching me eat. She has great head control and sits up (still leans forward and falls to the side sometimes but otherwise doing really well).  She totally focuses on the food when she is getting her apple puree.  She also can't seem to go for more than 3 hours between meals except at night.  At night she is eating after the first 6-7 hours of sleep and then approx 4 hours after that.

Any thoughts?
My Little Monkey

My Little Sunshine

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
Re: Almost 4 month old eating 42 ounces a day. Ready for solids?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 22:30:59 pm »
Hi there :)

There are a lot of recommendations out there as to when you should start your baby on solids, and different moms most certainly have different opinions on this.  At the end of the day, I think only you and your baby know when the time is right, and it's up to you to make the decision based on your own research, and of course it helps to hear what other moms have to say.

Here is a link to have a look at:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=36922.0
And some recent threads you might find helpful:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=185090.0
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=185271.0

I'm sure you know that the World Health Organization recommends waiting until 6mos, but I think the American Academy of Pediatrics suggests babies will be ready between 4-6mos, and a lot of mothers go by this as well.  It's very important too if you are starting early to talk to your baby's doctor.

Since your LO is drinking a lot of formula, it does seem like she is ready for complementary feeding.  Bear in mind too that even though a baby is drinking a lot of milk doesn't necessarily mean her system is mature enough.  That is something you will have to gauge and figure out.

At the end of the day it definitely varies from baby to baby.  My DS1 was ready around 5.5mos, but my DS2 wouldn't entertain so much as looking at solid food until well past 6mos.  No one can tell you what's right for YOUR baby, only what they did with theirs.

HTH, and I'm sure other moms will chime in.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Motmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 09:11:37 am »
Hi there, I am wondering the same, my ds #2 is 4.5 months, sitting well, very big boy, draining all his bottles and after almost 2.5 months of sleeping through the night has started to wake up hungry...I really cant plough more formula into him, he is getting over 40oz a day as it is. I have decided to give it the rest of this week and see how we go, if he continues waking I may well introduce solids , he will be almost 5 months then. ds 1 was breast fed and waited until he was 6 months but the 2 boys are very different.

A mothers intuition is a very strong thing and I think if you feel your baby needs to start on solids then do it. Recommendations from w.h.o and other groups are just that.....recommendations, you will know what is best for your baby.

When I do start I intend to take things really slowly, am just hoping his wonderful nights sleep is not going to be too disturbed, he is teething like crazy at the moment so I may hold off a little until this little bout of teething eases.

Best of luck whatever you decide xx

Offline lesliemarie

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 13:55:31 pm »
Thanks.  I have made an appointment with the pead for the day she turns 4 months :)  I hope I get the go ahead.  DD also has reflux and I have read that introducing solids can help.  I really hope so because she is going through a flare right now and is waking so many times at night.  Previously she would sleep 12 to 13 hours and wake up twice to eat during.  Now she is waking three times but not eating full bottles and waking many other times needing a soother or some comfort.  I don't know if she could be teething as well but it seems early.  It is killing me though. ;)
My Little Monkey

My Little Sunshine

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 15:48:20 pm »
There are lots of reasons for NWings other than hunger so bear that in mind.  I know around 4mos both my boys starting waking more often.  I think there is a huge developmental leap at that age, as well as a growth spurt and teething (it's not necessarily too early, both mine got teeth by 5mos), that can cause wakings.  That is probably why she is not taking full bottles each time, she is not actually hungry.  I would try settling her without feeds if you can.

It's great if your doctor gives you the go ahead, but listen to your baby as well.  She will be the one to tell you if she's ready.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline lesliemarie

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 15:56:50 pm »
That's what I was thinking.  I've posted on the reflux board to see if it could be the 4 month flare coming early or if possibly teething.  Hopefully someone there has experience with it.
My Little Monkey

My Little Sunshine

Offline Motmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 18:05:01 pm »
I tried my little guy with a little pureed fruit today and there is no way he is ready for solids, he isnt taking his bottles today, his cheeks are bright red and there is no doubt that he is teething, I just know however that he is gonna wake tonight from not having finished his bottles during the day. Our easy is all over the place at the moment, we are trapped in the dreaded 45 min nap cycle, he isnt cranky from having these short naps however, I know the teething has a lot to do with it but I really want to get things back on track, I am sticking to 3.5 hour feeds and he seems to be up for an hour before a feed and about an hour after.....I am blabbing now, just wish I could fix it all. ds 1 was a  textbook baby, not sure where to start..
I realise after typing all this that it has little to do with your originial post but if you can offer any advice please do!

xx

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 18:31:00 pm »
Motmom, do you have any posts going on any of the sleep or EASY boards?  You can find more specific advice over there and I'd be happy to have a look if you make a new thread, although I'm not always the best with that sort of stuff.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Motmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 10:04:48 am »
Hey martina ya I have posted a few times on the sleep boarss and have received some great advice but my lo is defying all tips!!! Last night he took 5oz, and slept til 7.20 am!! As I said he is a wonderful night sleeper, but true to form he only managed 45 mins this morn, only took 3 oz this morning, is due to be fed at 10.30 am so am hoping he will take more, as with everything a little perspective and sleep does a lot for the mind, today I feel, at least he is happy, I am not spending hours trying to console him or ease him any distress, I can be thankful that he is really happy and placid, so onwards and upwards I guess!!!

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 13:11:36 pm »
45mins are often normal for this age and tend to be a developmental thing.  Much of the time it does stop on it's own.  Sorry, not much help here on the solids boards, but if I come across your other posts I'll have a look too.  If in a bit you're still frustrated, post again on the other boards and see if you can get a fresh perspective.  Sometimes it just takes one new set of eyes to point out something that helps.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010