Author Topic: Fussy 10mo...won't eat off spoon but eats very little now :(  (Read 1422 times)

Offline arabesque

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
Fussy 10mo...won't eat off spoon but eats very little now :(
« on: February 01, 2011, 20:30:25 pm »
Hi everyone,

DS2 turned 10mo yesterday. He has 4BFs per day but is having formula top ups atm as he doesn't seem satisfied by my milk.

He eats very little (as far as I can see)

BF anytime b/w 6 and 7am
Breakfast 8am - 1/2 a wheat biscuit with 60ml formula
Snack 10am- yoghurt (he will eat this, loves it)
BF 11:30am
Lunch 12:30pm - some ham, bit of bread, fruit, I try to squeeze in some spoon food but rejects it, shakes his head
Snack 2pm custard (again, loves this. if he doesn't finish it he has it after dinner)
BF 3:30pm
Dinner 5:30pm - try for some spoon food, peas, bread, ham, fruit - very little
BF 6:45pm

Please help. He's waking a gazillion times a night atm and I need to fill him up so I can rule out hunger. Everything I give him to eat he doesn't want.

Also, how much water can I give him during the day?

Thanks
DS1 July 2007; DS2 April 2010; DD September 2014

Offline jesie

• Showing Appreciation 18
Re: Fussy 10mo...won't eat off spoon but eats very little now :(
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 20:40:08 pm »
Not sure there is a limit on how much water to have really DS has a cup of water it available all day for him to drink as he likes, he'll drink usually the whole cup each day - 7oz. But can have 10-12oz

Could DS be teething? Is the spoon food lumpy? Just a thought that maybe the lumpy food is hurting his gums.

My two angels will always live on in my heart June11, March12, sweet dreams xxx
[/url]

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 20:46:19 pm »
Hi again :)  I just posted on your other thread, but am now seeing here the answers to some of the questions I just posted!  ;)

Re the water, I offer water to F at every meal and let him have as much as he wants.  He doesn't usually take a lot, but you said it's very hot where you are so your DS might want a bit more.  I think it's ok to give him as much as he wants at this point.

Ok, so the thing is, we all hate the idea of LOs waking out of hunger and want them to eat as much as they can during the day so they don't get hungry.  The problem with this is, we can't make them eat if they don't want to.  :P  I struggled with this with F for months as he just didn't really want to eat anything, and he was waking often out of hunger.

At 10mos I think you can give up with the spoon if he won't eat off it.  (obviously use it for yogurt or custard if he's still enjoying those).  But the minute he refuses to eat his meals off the spoon, just get rid of it.  There is no point fighting and possibly creating problems with eating.  Focus on finger foods at this point.  Anything can be a finger food if you get creative.  ;)

Here is a link about this kinda of stuff:  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=70142.0

I think the key to getting picky or fussy babies to take interest in food is to take a more relaxed, no fuss approach.  If your guy seems like he doesn't want to eat, just say "it's ok, you eat when you're ready".  Of course keep offering, but don't push.

I know this doesn't solve the hunger-at-night worry, but it's a step in the right direction.  To get them eating more during the day they first have to want to eat, and for that to happen often moms have to back off and let baby have a little more control. 
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline arabesque

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 21:36:45 pm »
Thanks everyone :)

Now he's stopped eating any breads/cereals/pasta/rice. He'll happily eat ham, fruit, yoghurt and custard. I can't get any carbs into him which concerns me (of course ;) since he's still having NW and EW. Oh he will occasionally eat cheerios. Any ideas?

You're right, Martina, I need to relax a bit....but it's so hard!

Offline jesie

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 21:42:43 pm »
Sorry just a quicky reply no brain energy to think at the mo but how about something on toast? Beans, spaghetti etc, hide toast in the sauce.

Weetabix? With lots of milk may go down as there is no chewing.

My two angels will always live on in my heart June11, March12, sweet dreams xxx
[/url]

Offline arabesque

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 22:05:45 pm »
Thanks jesie, good idea with the baked beans etc. He was eating weetbix every day for breakfast but has started refusing it. I'll try the baked beans :)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 00:05:30 am »
What about dips and spreads for toast strips and breadsticks?  Maybe he'll eat them if they're jazzed up a little.  ;)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012