Author Topic: How to encourage drinking milk from cup not bottle  (Read 2528 times)

Offline eml2512

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
How to encourage drinking milk from cup not bottle
« on: January 26, 2011, 08:56:31 am »
Hello ladies

DD is really good with her drinking and we followed the advice and gave her water in a cup as soon as we started weaning her. But the milk stayed in a bottle. Now she's 16 months old and I'd quite like to encourage her to take milk from a cup. I don't mind so much a bottle at bed for comfort, especially as #2 is on his way and she'll see him on the boob at bed. But at the moment she absolutely refuses to take milk in a cup.

I've seen her try it (we've tried giving it to her in a different cup to the water one so she doesn't think we're tricking her) and she'll pull a face like she's tasted something bad. As soon as we pour it into a bottle, down it goes. So I know it's not milk and I know it's not the cup.

Any ideas?

E x

Offline bubbabear1

• Bubbabear1
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • Caitlin Rose
Re: How to encourage drinking milk from cup not bottle
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 12:21:35 pm »
Listening in...

xx

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 15:33:27 pm »
As soon as we pour it into a bottle, down it goes.

It's this.  If they know that you will put it in a bottle, they will hold out for this.  They are sooooo smart these kids.  The only way we found a way out was to take the bottle out of the equation.
The tweaking never stops!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 16:03:56 pm »
DS is 19.5 months and ONLY wants milk in a bottle. He drinks water and diluted juice out of sippy and straw cups but he gets two bottles a day - a four ounce one AM and a 7-8 ounce one PM. And I'm OK with that - it's comforting to him and he's still drinking milk at least. I didn't have this issue with DD - she didn't like her bottle and self weaned completely by 13 months to straw cups.

You can always take bottles totally away, like Wendy said. But there are some kids then who just totally give up milk. I have two good friends who this happened to and so they wish they had kept the bottle around longer. One of my friends had success switching her #3 to a cup for milk by adding a small amount of chocolate Ovaltine to the milk (but only in the cup for a big boy) and then slowly weaning away the Ovaltine.

Personally I'm going to keep the bottle around for a while longer until he seems ready or at least is more verbal and we can talk about it...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline carasmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 23:57:48 pm »
I could have written this post.. in fact I was coming here to ask the very same question.  She will take 2-3 bottles a day with warm milk (after weaning from breast 1 month ago), but refuses milk in a cup, straw cup, sippy cup, etc., doesn't matter whether it's flavored, warm, or cold.  Our dr. said to just let her have the milk in  a bottle for now, but that at 18 months we need to play "hard ball". But frankly if that is the only way I can get her to drink it, then I guess that's what I do!  I will keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone comes up with something that we haven't tried!

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 00:24:10 am »
We were worried about this but just went cold turkey on bottles around 15m.  It took a couple of days for him to adjust, and really a few weeks before he was drinking as much as I wanted him to, but with time he adjusted and now it's no issue at all!
*Kate*

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 00:33:39 am »
We actually never went cold turkey per se, we offered the sippy with all meals, he always had access to it.  The morning bottle he lost interest in so we ditched it.  Then lunch he was still getting the lunch bottle at daycare but on weekends he didn't want it.  So again, we just stopped sending it.  His only option was a sippy.

Bedtime was easier than I thought, he just stopped wanting it too, we were almost forcing him to take it 'c'mon drink your bottle so we can go to bed' and eventually thought, 'what are we doing?' lol  So one night put him to bed without it and that was that.

I worry about how much liquid he consumes but not strictly milk.  Milk is controversial really, it's actually not necessary because lots of kids who have MPSI never touch milk and thrive.  But there is certain pressure from docs etc. to keep LO on full fat milk for first 2 years.  You can ensure they get what they need without milk, it's just trickier.
The tweaking never stops!

Offline jakobsmommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 20:22:07 pm »
have you tried a doidy cup, my lO hated teats so went at 10m straight from breast to doidy cup for milk and sippy cup for water. at 1st he would only take 2oz but is managing 5oz at 13m.  He has his milk downstairs in his highchair and then goes for a cuddle and a story by his cot, we decided not to make the milk a comfort thing after the BF stopped and it seemed to help the NW