Author Topic: Baby not taking enough  (Read 947 times)

Offline ellisjones

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 02, 2011, 14:46:35 pm »
help please, my daughter just wont drink enough.  Ive recently put her from a 3 hour to 4 hour routine.  At last the 20 naps have extended to 1-2 hours - however each feed is a fight.  She will take maybe 4 ounces...but then refuses the rest and can take over 2 hours to get the milk down.  She has also started to wake twice a night - guzzles 6 ounces at midnight, but then wakes at 5am, but only take 3 ounces.  She used to sleep from 7 - 4:30am.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Baby not taking enough
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 17:44:01 pm »
Hi there, I have split your post to make a new topic for you so you will get some help for you.

First I need to ask some questions as what we can suggest will depend on a few things!

How old is your baby and what weight is she? What flow teat are you using, does she have any signs or reflux or other digestive discomfort? Are you familiar with the books and do you have her on EASY?

The thing I would suggest in the mean time is to cut her feed time down. Offer the bottle, wind her and re-offer but if she won't take any more stop trying. A bottle feed shouldn't last more than about 20 mins and if you keep offering and reoffering she will be filling up on dribs and drabs and doesn't get a chance to get hungry before the next feed time. What you may find is that initially she may get hungry before the next feed time, so feeing early is fine but she needs a chance to get properly hungry.

Let us have some more information and we will see what else we can suggest!

Laura