Author Topic: Starting Nutramigen!  (Read 6564 times)

Offline newmummy82

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Starting Nutramigen!
« on: February 03, 2011, 14:09:55 pm »
Any ideas to make this palatable to a touchy BF 9.5 month old? It's so vile but I know babies manage to get used to it- how long would you persist with it? I would struggle to express enough to cover my work days if she won't take it! Also a bit reluctant to 'waste' EBM by mixing it in but that would be next step.Any flavourings proved useful?

My current plan is to offer it in a sippy cup every meal time with big smiles but no pressure.

Feeling sad and a bit stressed about it!!

thanks!
Ruth

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Starting Nutramigen!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 19:24:35 pm »
Hi Ruth  :D

I'm afraid we had no joy with Nutramigen (Olly was sick after our first attempt so didn't bother anymore! However he was a bit older when we tried so we went straight onto Oat milk instead) so can offer no advice but will have a hunt around for some more info you  ;).

Out of interest, are you just planning on using it to replace day feeds? Is it March you are going back? By 10 months I had dropped 1 of our day feeds in preparation for me going back to work. Dropped the other at 12 months just before Olly started nursery.

I'll get back to you x

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 19:34:51 pm »
your not likely to get a baby that old to take it, our pead told us at just under 3 months Alyssa was *just* young enough to accept it

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline jesie

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 19:46:09 pm »
DS started nutramigen at 18 weeks, it took him a couple of bottles to starting drinking it all but he had no problems. Just a funny face with his first try.

He was then 22  weeks when he moved on to nutramigen aa. This smells and tastes even worse, and I was armed ready with nesquick milkshake powder, but again a funny face and then he drank it.

So he was younger than your LO but older than pp's DS

I was told to flavour with milkshake powder, if need be, but never needed to.

G is still on nutramigen aa, and will ask for his milk, he loves it.

My two angels will always live on in my heart June11, March12, sweet dreams xxx
[/url]

Offline newmummy82

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 20:28:56 pm »
Out of interest, are you just planning on using it to replace day feeds? Is it March you are going back? By 10 months I had dropped 1 of our day feeds in preparation for me going back to work. Dropped the other at 12 months just before Olly started nursery.

She'll be 10 months when I return. I was going to keep both the mid morning and mid afternoon feeds to keep up supply but she's not overly interested in the am so we may well be down to 3 in total by then. I'll miss the day feed/s 3 days a week, plus the BT feed if on long shift or the wake up feed if on nights. She drinks from a cup but has never managed more than about 100-120ml EBM.

She turned her nose up at it every time I offered today- don't want to put her off every liquid so just having it her blue cup so she knows what it is.

I reckoned I would need to have pumped about 25 oz per week to cover it. Am wondering whether to just do the oat/fenugreek/pump-like-mad thing and hope I can sustain it- and that she is not also allergic to soya for when she is older!

Have decided to give it a week then will ring dietician for ideas!

thanks all!

Ruth

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 20:43:36 pm »
Wow Jesie, not come across a baby who loves it yet!  ;D

Flavouring the milk is a good idea - I have heard of it being made into smoothies ie pureeing it up with fruit. Nesquick is a great idea - I assumed it would contain milk but it doesn't.  :)

My dietician advised I try it in foods too. This was more just to get the protein in him but maybe it would help your DD get used to the flavour - maybe porridge or custard?

Also a good idea to keep in a seperate coloured cup so as not to put him off other drinks in different coloured cups.

I think it will just take time, Ruth. Patience and perseverence.

We are here if you need any support. xx

PS Re pumping and expressing - post over in the BF forum. They have loads of great advice there. x

Offline jesie

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 21:15:21 pm »
I fully expressed with DS for the first 11 weeks. I was told "you'll never express enough" I was like a cow expressing 40+oz a day! If you pump at regular times (and your workplace has to provide a room and fridge for you) then you will be able to keep up, your body won't know the difference. 

As for loving the milk, he has 26oz a day! And would have more but I won't give it to him.

And I do all his cooking with it. And amazingly when its cooked it blends in and doesn't take the taste of the food away at all.

Good luck :)

[/url]

Offline newmummy82

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 13:57:28 pm »
So not having much luck. She won't take more than a sip at a time- not more than 1/2 oz a day! I'm not prepared to force it on her by withholding BF so don't really know what to do. How long do I keep going?

Jessie- do you cook the nutramigen or just mix it in at the end?

I guess I am just wondering whether I would be better putting my energy/stress into expressing rather than this. Going back to work is bad enough without the extra worry!!

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 14:37:10 pm »
one thing which helped A' take it better (though she did take it before now she laps it down weird child) is giving it warm!

but saying that my 2 yr old was threatning to put the bottle in her own mouth so i let her taste the milk i squirted a bit in her mouth and she will never touch A's bottle ever again

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline jesie

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 19:01:42 pm »
G will only have it warm to.

I cook with it, I make things like scones, fish pie, fish sauce, mushroom sauce etc. I just use normal receipes, but substitute the milk for his.

If you phone nutramigen they will send you a receipe book for things like custard, yogurts, ice cream etc (they did me anyway) if not i'm happy to share some recipes if it'll help. I'll dig it out and see what's in there

Have you tried favouring it? Try adding some nesquick milkshake powder to see if that will help the taste or coco powder. Luckily we have never had to flavour. Or mixing it with EBM like you would to introduce cows milk. Upping the amount of power you put in each time.

Don't upset yourself though, send lots of ((((hugs))))

[/url]

Offline VickyM

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 08:48:43 am »
Hi,

I know how you are feeling! We started our LO on Nutramigen at 6.5 months (4 weeks ago). At first she just clamped her mouth shut and refused to drink it and I was reluctant to force it given that it smells so vile!

So instead I started expressing and mixing the ebm with the nutramigen. We started at 1 part nutramigen to 6 parts ebm and 4 weeks on we are at 5 parts nutramigen to 2 parts ebm. I can't say she loves it, but she drinks it and hopefully in another 10 days or so we will have eliminated the ebm completely and I can stop pumping - although I can't quite believe that it will happen! But its certainly worth a try.

I still can't get our LO to eat her porridge etc when made with nutramigen, she'll eat it when made with ebm though, so that is my next challenge!

Good luck x

Offline jesie

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 10:09:05 am »
Mabster, DS won't eat his porridge plain. Have you tried adding fruit? Half a banana is DH's favourite and he'll eat it with pear too.

I haven't added other fruits yet, but I need to to give him a bit more variety.

[/url]

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 10:21:03 am »
Olly always has half of one of those Organix fruit pots mixed in to his porridge  :)