Author Topic: Did DD outgrow her MPI?  (Read 1595 times)

Offline bakershaker

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mom of 3- Baker 12/07, Myla 03/10, Sawyer 03/14
Did DD outgrow her MPI?
« on: February 04, 2011, 18:00:23 pm »
DD is MPI and has been on soy formula since 5 months and never been happier. We did cheese at 8 months with no problems, and yogurt was a bit touchy at first, we stopped for weeks and then tried again at 9-10 months and she has done great with it with no issues. We were told to try a few cows milk formula bottles closer to 12 months to see how she tolerate it to know if she could tolerate 3% milk at 1 year. Yesterday I gave her a bottle mixed half and half with cows milk formula and soy formula..and no issues. Same as her bedtime bottle last night.I did another one this morning with a bit more cows milk then the last 2, and she has had no issues as far as vomiting, her stools looked normal and she doesn't seem to be in pain at all.
Could she have outgrown her milk intolerance that fast?!  Should I keep  giving her cows milk formula over a few days and watch her? And last question..should I mix it half and half with teh soy, or just straight up give her a bottle with just cows milk? Thanks in advance ladies for some suggestions!!
Mommy to 3 beautiful little ones

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 18:06:19 pm »
I'm curious too as we are on the same route.  I have been eating yogurt, cheese, and some other dairy and he has been fine (he is still BFding).  I've also been relaxed about what I've been giving him, so he eats hidden dairy and the other day had some pasta that had cheese in the sauce.  So I'm wondering if he's outgrown his intolerance too.  Haven't been brave enough to give him cheese or yogurt yet, although I suspect he will be fine. 

So I do think it's possible, but maybe proceed with caution and keep an eye out.  Intolerances can strike at any time, so she may be fine after drinking milk 10 times but then for some reason it comes back on the 11th! 
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline bakershaker

• Showing Appreciation 3
Re: Did DD outgrow her MPI?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 18:32:11 pm »
Thanks Martina!! Good luck to you guys! Myla can tolerate all hidden dairy now, and she even had a bagel with some butter spread on it and she didn't vomit! Which is a step up for us!
What do I do if the intolerence comes back? Go back to soy?

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 18:33:34 pm »
I'm not sure to be honest!!  There could be varying degrees, like she is ok with hidden, yogurt and cheese, but full on milk she can't tolerate, kwim?  I guess you just cut it out again and try again later.  I'm sure some other moms know more than I do! 
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline jesie

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 10:52:40 am »
I was told with DH that most grow out of it by 12 months and by the time they are 6 only 5% still have the MPI  so chances are you should be ok.

I think your LO may still become sensitive after a tummy bug, but in general, it sounds like they can tolerate lots, so should be ok now :) I wouldn't rush things though, little and often will help to build up the tolerance and will be easier to digest and breakdown, rather than lots of big portions at once, which will end up getting left behind and cause upset. which is excellent news! Well done super mummies for riding the storm!

My two angels will always live on in my heart June11, March12, sweet dreams xxx
[/url]

Offline bakershaker

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 17:52:24 pm »
Thanks so much ladies! We are on day 2 of some cows milk formula in her bottle, and still no issues. So I decided I would keep with the soy, but do a bottle a day of cows milk to see what the next few weeks bring. I'm so happy she is outgrowing it, I really thought we would struggle with this for years!!

Offline jesie

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 19:01:51 pm »
:)

[/url]

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 22:05:21 pm »
That is brilliant news Lisa!

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 08:36:17 am »
 ;D

Offline bakershaker

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 02:48:29 am »
Well today we had some sour spit up, with slight crankiness. So I'm not sure what to think...back off from cows milk for now?

Offline donna_issabella

• Showing Appreciation 941
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 03:20:55 am »
I woudl back off and just do the hidden stuff and cheese and yogurt. It is about 5-6 weeks until she is 1 year old. Why not just wait until then to trial her on cow's milk? That is what I would do. Saves you haveing to go Soy formula -> CM Formula -> 3.25% homo.

JMHO.

DS was fine for a year on hidden and yogurt and cheese2.5 years old. Then only at 3.5 did we take the plunge and gave him regular milk.

Offline jesie

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 09:20:27 am »
Hiya, firstly I just wanted to say don't get dishartened, cos you've made great achievements :)

I agree with pp. Continue the cheese etc but yes stop that cows milk as a drink. In the UK we are told not to give it as a drink until 12 months old anyway.

If i were you I would wait a few weeks and if you want to re try the milk, try it with your cooking, then on cereal. But as a huge bulk in a drink, I would wait a little longer.
I'm afraid its going to be lots of trial of and error.

Good luck. :)

[/url]

Offline bakershaker

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 22:48:55 pm »
Thanks ladies! I'm not giving her cow's milk, just cow's milk formula. I guess it makes sense to just stick to soy formula for a few more weeks and then try 3.25% cows milk. I just thought trying a few bottles of cows milk formula would help the transition to homo milk at 1 year. She's been absolutly fine with hidden things and yougurt, cheese. So I'll give it a few more weeks and try again. Thanks for the help ladies!!

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 22:57:19 pm »
Good luck Lisa!  I think you're on the right track.  These things are never as straightforward as we'd like, there always seems to be a little forward and back going on, but I'm sure she will be over the intolerance before you know it.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010