Author Topic: How Long Can I Use a Heated (but not drunk from) Bottle?  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Texomamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
How Long Can I Use a Heated (but not drunk from) Bottle?
« on: February 06, 2011, 14:07:54 pm »
So, I know the rules about bottle safety relative to leaving it at room temp before use (within 2 hours) and once LO has started to drink from it (up to 1 hour-although sometimes I push it a few minutes past).

But, what about a bottle you have heated, assuming you will feed sometime soon and you don't?  Does that follow the 1 hour rule, 2 hours, or does it need to be tossed?  Can it be saved and reheated (I would stop short of putting it back in the fridge). Sometimes I hear a bottle before going out to lunch say, and if DD2 d/n seem to be giving hungry cues, I hold off on feeding until later.

Thoughts?

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: How Long Can I Use a Heated (but not drunk from) Bottle?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 20:45:21 pm »
1 hour and then get rid, and certainly no to keeping and reheating later.

I used to take warm water in a thermos and make it up while we were out if I really needed it. It is fine to keep water warm - just not milk.

HTH

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 20:52:59 pm »
How are you making the bottles? If you are making it fresh with hot water and cooling you have 2 hours (or leave to cool down if you are making it before you think you will need it.). If you have already made it and are re-heating the first time then I wouldn't use it after 1 hour. Definitly 1 hour after it has started being used which ever way you make it up and no re-heating!

I agree with Liz, take hot water with you or the cooled boiled water in a sterile bottle and add the powder when you need the feed then warm.

Laura

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 21:49:31 pm »
Ah, thank you ladies.  I use room temp water to mix the formula and then heat it using a bottle warmer right before feeding.  When I go out (but expect to use it soon), I heat it before we leave and then use within 1 hour.  Today, we went out, but I knew she probably wouldn't eat, so I didn't heat it.  Left it at room temp and then when we came home, heated it and offered it to her.  All within about 80 mins I would say, which is within the 2 hour window they say is safe.  Really, I don't know why I insist on making the bottles ahead of time anyway.  I can always just bring the bottle with water in it, and add the powder later.  I like the thermos idea, Liz.  I don't think I have had a thermos in years, must go get one :) Thanks.