Author Topic: sticker charts etc? what age to introduce?  (Read 2442 times)

Offline *Jo*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
sticker charts etc? what age to introduce?
« on: February 11, 2011, 01:17:35 am »
I have been thinking of making a sticker chart for when Caleb does his jobs, he really responds well to that kind of thing and hes really good at it, but im not sure if hes too young for this?
for example he packs up his toys 95% every single day before nap and before bedtime and we always clap and high five etc but it would be nice to say "now lets go put a sticker on your chart because you tidied up all your toys today!" however I dont want to be jumping ahead of myself here either.

any ideas on what age is best for this sort of thing?

Offline Daylene

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: sticker charts etc? what age to introduce?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 02:18:29 am »
We did a sticker chart with my DD1 when we started potty training, just before she turned 2.  She got a kick out of it, started peeing every 30 minutes just to get a sticker!  She's 3 1/2 now and we have a behavioral chart with about 10 different categories... but with a 2 year old, I'd start small, just one or two activities...  He might be a bit young to have any kind of long term reward, other than just the sticker. ( Like, "after you get 25 stickers, we'll have a zoo trip!")  Short term rewards, like a penny in a piggy bank for every sticker, given at night before bed, might work, but honestly, the sticker itself would probably be reward enough for him; it is for my daughter.  When she gets older, I'm sure we'll have to find other motivations, though!

Offline sarahmurphymoo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 21:28:48 pm »
You can get different levels of sticker charts, some are just basically a bucnh of boxes that you fill in as an when you like, others have tasks associated to them, and some work on a weekly / monthly cycle.

I got a couple from http://www.personalisedrewardcharts.co.uk for my eldest (who's 6) but my youngest who's 3 wanted one as well to be like his big brother.

They've worked quite well too.

Offline x95stocchier

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 03:04:29 am »
We did a potty sticker chart for DS at 3 1/2 with a prize when it was full.

With DD at 2 we used a sticker chart for waking up dry from naps and morning.  For her at that age the sticker was reward enough, never needed a "prize."
Sarah