Author Topic: Two steps forward, one step back  (Read 1678 times)

Offline afeswick

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • My Spirited/Touchy "destructicon" :)
Two steps forward, one step back
« on: February 11, 2011, 13:04:46 pm »
So my LO had MFPI 2 weeks after birth, and was on Neocate until he was 12 months old, during which time we had been introducing solid foods carefully.  We then began a milk trial which seemed to go well.  We stopped Neocate and he's getting his 4 recommended dairy servings (yogurt, cheese, milk).  I switched to regular formula for his nighttime bottle and some daytime bottles when he really wants them.  We just got back from the pediatrician, and I had mentioned how his belly seemed to be big, even for a toddler.  She took one look and said that he's probably still got a bit of intolerance going on, and he looks quite bloated.  This makes sense as he's been passing a lot of gas lately.  She said it was likely due to the proteins and not the lactose (I asked).

So...she gave us Neocate junior which is a tropical flavour.  And DS hates it.  How on earth am I going to convince him to take this stuff in lieu of milk (so his protein and calcium intake doesn't suffer)?  I mean, now that he's had "the real stuff" of milk, I think it's unlikely he'll remember he used to drink Neocate, even if I do get the old non-flavoured stuff.

I had planned on continuing the night-time bottle until at least 18 months, as I consider it a safety net nutritionally for those days when his eating isn't the best.  I can drop it, but since milk is a great source of calcium and protein, and if he's not getting it or neocate anymore, what do I give him instead? My next logical source is peanut butter, but he doesn't seem to like it very much. :(   Since yogurt and cheese is pretty low on the protein side (high fat) I was going to offer these still.

My co-worker just suggested juice that has calcium....not a bad idea.  Any other ideas?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Two steps forward, one step back
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 16:27:16 pm »
So how old is your LO now? Is it your gut feeling that it is the milk protein he is reacting too as you say you did introduce it carefully?

Maybe you could try one of the other milks ie oat, rice, soy? Think it might be too late now for Neocate again  ???. We have been prescribed calcium supplements for Olly and have been told to give at least 2 portions of protein a day.

Offline jesie

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 19:21:02 pm »
You can get calcium from various other foods, for example:
Broccoli, Chinese cabbage, collars greens, kale, turnip greens
Oysters, salmon (with bones- could blend I guess), shrimp, sardines
Molasses, tofu

If you think he is ok on processed milk then there is also
Ice cream, ice milk, yogurt, processed cheese, sour cream

I guess if you tried favouring the milk it may taste worse as its already flavoured.

My two angels will always live on in my heart June11, March12, sweet dreams xxx
[/url]

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 19:56:06 pm »
DS is 2 and was recently prescribed Neocate active - there is a plain one - as well as the flavoured ones (DS didn't like the berry one, but tolerates the plain one, when mixed with fruit).  We also give DS calciu.m-enriched oat milk as he couldn't tolerate soya or milk
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!