Author Topic: number of meals  (Read 834 times)

Offline mymay1

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 12, 2011, 13:45:22 pm »
Hi,
DS was on 4/4.5 hrs EASY + DF which meant he was eating 5 meals a day.
For the last month I've been introducing solids (He is almost 7mo, eating solids very well) and during the last week we started to wean him from dream feed.

All the EASY routines I see which include solids are adding solids on top of the breast feeding which both increase the number of meals per day and reduce the time between meals.
Since he was used to eat every 4 hours, why should he now be hungry for solids 1/1.5 hrs after BF?

I'm trying to create a new EASY for him but not sure how to do it.

Any insights will be great!
Thanks,
May

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 19:56:39 pm »
Hi May

It helps to keep in mind that milk feeds are the E in EASY, and solids are part of the A time really.  Since solids are still for fun and exploration, you don't have to think of them as 'meals' necessarily.

Also, as your baby is growing and getting more active, his appetite will increase so he will be hungry for milk and solids.

Another thing with breastfed babies is that breastmilk is digested rather quickly, so he very well could be hungry shortly after BFing.

I actually find that my DS2 would be more hungry for solids soon after his breastfeeds.  When babies under 9mos are hungry, they want their milk and not solids.  After they've had milk and are feeling better, they are often in a good mood and more willing to try solid foods.

HTH :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012