Author Topic: Juices in bottle or beaker?  (Read 919 times)

Offline skibunny

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Juices in bottle or beaker?
« on: February 13, 2011, 13:06:47 pm »
Hi, I give my 5.5mth year old baby juice along with his pureed dinner, so he doesnt get thirsty.

He drinks it from a bottle. But I have read that this is bad for babies teeth (he doesnt have teeth yet).

I've tried a bit of juice in a beaker - one with a lid on it. Not sure what you call them. But the flow is too fast for him.

Any suggestions how to progress baba to his beaker? Worried about damaging his teeth in future.

Oh and I tried him with just water and he hates it! Spits it out!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 14:34:53 pm »
Juice in general is not good for babies teeth and should be avoided as much as possible.  I would keep offering water only.  I know it's not exciting and some babies will spit it out, but really at this age they don't know the difference between juice and water, so might as well offer water, kwim?

Have you tried different cups?  Most sippy cups have valves so they don't spill but it does slow down the flow and sometimes make it hard to suck the liquid out.  Different cups work in different ways so sometimes it's just a matter of trying until you find one your baby likes. 

I think bottles are left for milk only, and juice is best left until at least a year or even older.

HTH :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012