Author Topic: Quiet time after nap dropped  (Read 1587 times)

Offline ~Emma~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
Quiet time after nap dropped
« on: February 13, 2011, 14:06:12 pm »
So its official. DS has dropped his nap. In the last 2 weeks he's only napped a handful of times. He's tired for sure but he just wont sleep but he is tacking it onto his nightsleep which is leading me to believe this is the real deal.

So I still put him down for a nap every day in the hope that he'll take it but he rarely does. The room is still darkened so he tends to sit in the dark with a book or digging out his toys. He's quite happy in there for an hour or so, he doesn't cry or whine. I just feel bad that he's sitting in there in the dark!

What do others do for quiet time with their LO's when there is still a chance that they might just take a nap? Still do w/d etc?

Offline mini me

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • British Mummy living in Greece now back in UK!
Re: Quiet time after nap dropped
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 20:00:54 pm »
Hi Emma, Luckily DD still naps 5 times a week, but is quite happy to just sing for a few hours in the pitch dark if she doesn't want to sleep!! I am all for the continued nap/quiet time when she finally drops her nap. Because of the culture here, a lot of stuff shuts mid afternoon for a siesta/few hours, so I think it will be in our interest to keep her routine of quiet time.
I also feel it is important for a Mummy's sanity to retain those sacred few hours of peace and quiet, so I wouldn't be in any hurry to get rid of them ... I think it does a child good to have a 'different' kind of play ie quiet play by themselves and a bit of unwinding iyswim. Maybe you can have a special set of play things for him to have only at this quiet time so it remains a positive and happy time for him? Not much advice, but reading along to give myself some ideas up front!
Also, would he accept a rule that he has to stay in bed for his quiet time, so that if he does decide to fall asleep, he will be comfortable? Not sure, if he is in a BBB of not.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 20:02:57 pm by mini me »
Andi

Offline deckchariot

• Showing Appreciation 361
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 20:44:58 pm »
Abby naps maybe 3x a week, and when she doesn't, she definitely adds it at night, so I know we are close to dropping it as well.  I still do the wind down and put her in bed.  Whether she sleeps or not is up to her.  She will sing to herself or play with her stuffed animals if she doesn't sleep.  I still go get her at the same time I would wake her.  She definitely knows the rule is that she has to stay in her room and be quiet (not silent, but if she's yelling and screaming or doing all kinds of noisy play, then I come in).  I plan to keep that plan as long as possible.  If she's not taking any naps for a couple of weeks, and doing better without them, then I'd probably still read stories on her bed, but leave the blinds open and have some "approved" quiet time toys she can play with.
Michelle

Offline x95stocchier

• Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 02:44:04 am »
Emma-
My DS dropped his nap around the same time.  I kept doing w/d, closing shades and putting him in his crib (and eventually bed) for about another 6 months....hoping, even praying for a nap, but he rarely did.  BUT I know the "lights out" time was good for him.  He was using his mind in different ways...imagining, singing, talking to himself, etc.  But he's vary boundry sensetive and even though he never slept, he never got out of his bed.

Eventually, when he was approaching 3 he was getting REALLY loud laying in his bed (to the point of waking his baby sister), so I introduced "quiet time."  If you can be quiet, you can play in your room (shades open, etc.  This is when we stopped the w/d).  If you get too noisy, you'll have to lay down in your bed.  This provided him opportunity for quiet, solo play.  I still left him there 2 hrs like normal...beacuse mommy needed the time!

Now, even at 5, on days he is not at school he has quiet time.  Same rules apply...must be quiet!  We have some things he can play quietly, but mostly he reads.  If I can tell he is really wiped and likely to nap I strike a deal....if you lay down with your head on your pillow in the dark, you only have to stay 1 hour.  If you want to play, then it's 2 hrs.  Usually on those days if he chooses to lay down he will fall asleep.
Sarah

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 09:18:53 am »
 Well fingers crossed for the last 2 days he's picked the nap back up again. Thing is he's so grumpy when he wakes from it that some days I feel its barely worth it for whining and clinginess for the hour after he's awake. Then there is the coaxing into bed in the first place.....he has however napped like a trooper in his BBB. Still doing 11.5/12 hour nights too so not all bad.  ;D