Author Topic: How long should I wait to see results  (Read 1773 times)

Offline tlc0304

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 14, 2011, 00:38:05 am »
Hi!  I'm new posting here, but I think I've read almost every message on this forum!  It has taught me soooo much and has really helped me implement the BW practices with my DS.  So...here's my question:

DS is 24 weeks old.  He was diagnosed early on (6 weeks) with reflux.  We finally put him on Zantac and then Prevacid when we was about 3 and a half months because he was squirming and arching and generally just so unhappy.  (It made virtually no difference...even after two months...so we discontinued)  He has been sleeping through the night since he was 9 weeks old...even though he is EBF, he is above the 50th percentile in weight.  However, around 3.5 mos, DS starting waking up about every hour after midnight.  He didn't need to eat...just needed me to reinsert paci and put my hand on his chest.  I tried weaning him off the paci but it made no difference.  Eventually, he just stopped taking the paci, but still woke up all night long, passing gas, shaking his head back and forth.  I also started noticing what I thought was cradle cap on his head.  Turns out...it was eczema.  He also developed a few spots on his very red cheeks (which I thought was due to drooling) and on the back of his arms.  He's always had green, mucousy poops on occasion...but I thought that was due to a foremilk imbalance when I switched him too early or something. 

So eventually, from reading here, I put the poop, red cheeks, grumpiness (to put it lightly), reflux, eczema, and extreme gas and wind (he expels both like a middle school boy!) and asked my doctor to check for blood in the stool.  Sure enough, all three diapers I brought to her had blood.  (The crazy thing is...I've totally never seen it!  And I looked really hard!) 
So I cut out all dairy and soy (I figured it would be easier to go back and figure out if I could have soy after I got him feeling better and got some sleep...remember we've not been sleeping once an hour after midnight for about 2 months now!) 18 days ago.  It seems like he's a little happier, but I'm still getting green mucousy poops, eczema flaring up, and terrible nights.  (I know the nights could be part habit, but...it'd be nice if there was a little less gas!  PS: I haven't started any solids yet, and he has started eating twice at night again..but he's taking full feeds..and not at the same time every night.  I think he's just legitimately hungry and ready for some solid food!)  I know you have to wait awhile (4 weeks) for everything to be out of your system, but I have seen flare-ups and VERY little improvement in 18 days!  AND I decided to go ahead and go on a slightly modified Dr. Sears elimination diet 6 days ago.  Still ...no changes!  (Modified Dr. Sears diet= chicken (I'm just eating regular Perdue chicken breasts, not range fed...how important is this?), salt, pepper, olive oil, sweet potatoes, red potatoes, apples, bananas (only a few, because I did figure out this makes him a little constipated), squash and zucchini.)  I feel like I'm starving though I eat all day...I'm dying for a chocolate chip cookie...I weigh less than I did before I got pregnant (which makes me worry about my supply!) AND there's no improvement!

I know I have to be patient for results...but is there something I'm missing!?!?

As an addiitonal note, I tried Alimentum on two different occasions (my mom babysat two different nights to give us a break...and all the expressed breast milk was, of course, down the drain!) and he reacted horribly to it!  Nasty, mucousy brown poop and a horrible mood!

I know that's a TON of information, but I am at a loss!  Do I try something else?  Could it be something still in my diet? (not much to choose from!) Do I just keep eating the limited diet and hold out for improvement?  I really want to continue BF'ing through the first year, but I really want my DS to feel better!  What to do!?!?!

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: How long should I wait to see results
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 22:13:49 pm »
I'm no expert on hardcore EDs really - but the Sears one is (in my opinion) too hard for the long term. One of the ladies has been using one whose name I forget  ::), but all the details are here
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=175107.0

I think it seems do-able and more scientific than any of the others I have come across.

Is that reflux still medicated?? Excess gas can be from excessive ingestion by a fussy feeder due to reflux.

Did you check any nappies after eliminating the dairy and soy for 2 weeks! For blood I mean?

Have a look at the links and details of the other ED I posted and see what you think. It would change what veggies you could eat, for example.

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 04:27:45 am »
Too funny Liz  ;)

Hun, wow,  I can see you are gong to great lengths to sort out your bubs reflux and food intolerances.  Yay.  But its a hard road, but the goal is a symptom free baby, you can't really expcet anythng less for all the sacrafice.  I wouldn't recommend the Dr Sears diet for three reasons.

1. It is unecessarily strict and therefore a high chance of going "bust"

2.  It does not account for natrual food chemcicals such as amines, salicylates and glutamates.  These are found in the foods in the diet, and sensitive babies will react to them.  That might be one reason you are not seeing an improvement.

3. There are so few foods in this diet that it would take an eon to re-introduce everything properly. You wouldn't do so within 12 months, so you'd be looking at a very very restricted diet for a very long time or else you'd have to introduce some things very very rapidly.

The other reason you might not see an improvements is that it usually takes about 4 weeks to recover and rid of all the nasties in the body if they are very sensitive.

To save heart ache it would be worth looking at the RPAH elimination diet.   It s fairly hard to do wthout the support of a dietician however.   I have been on this diet for 8 months, and it  took us 6-8 weeks to reach a baseline, but that's because I started at the moderate level of chemicals as opposed to "low".

Just to add a bit of info, salicylates are actually a common but little known food intolerance.  They are in most fruits and veges.

This is where you can find out about the diet:

http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/
http://www.sswahs.nsw.gov.au/rpa/allergy/
http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/factsheets/Factsalicylates2.htm

This is where you can buy the handbook with all food charts and buying guide for the diet.  If you are considering the diet, I can send you some more stuff via email.
http://www.sswahs.nsw.gov.au/rpa/allergy/

The other option to consider is to cut wheat and egg free for 3 weeks.  If still no improvement then go to stricter ED.  It might save you some unecessary heart ache.

Eloise xx

Offline tlc0304

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 15:42:31 pm »
Thank you SO much for your responses Eloise and Liz.  You wouldn't believe how encouraging they are to me.  Being a new mom is so daunting in the first place...so much to learn and figure out.  When you start factoring in all of this...oh my goodness!  I feel like I need a PhD sometimes! 

Thank you for the link to the other forum Liz.  I am actually slowly reading the entire thing (yes, all 82 pages) on my blackberry while nursing/rocking...I am learning a lot.  We had started weaning off the Prevacid when it started running out and he seemed to be feeling better (which I now think was just before the "withdrawal period" discussed in the other forum) and I think it was a big mistake.  I think it took awhile to get out of his system and now we are reaping the consequences.  I started him back on it this morning.  What was I thinking!?!

Also, I have been checking his diapers for blood...the crazy thing is...I have NEVER seen blood.  Even the diapers that I took to the ped that tested positive for blood.  I don't know if I'm looking at it the wrong way or what!  I have never seen anything red...and the only specks I see aren't black...just darker yellow...I assumed it was the "seedy" look they are supposed to have.  Maybe this is a first time mom mistake?  Are those specks blood?

Eloise, thank you for the feedback on the Dr. Sears diet.  I totally agree with you...now that I know more.  Why is it that hindsight is always 20/20?  Anyway, I am definitely interested in the RPAH diet (I will message you my e-mail address...thank you!)  I am so excited about making a change.  I love the weight loss...but it's getting a little out of control now!  Do you think it is something I can start on my own, or will I need a dietitian to get started?  I also want to get the Prevacid back in his system before I make too many changes so I don't have too many variables in this crazy experiment!

Also, Carter is now 5.5 months old.  He has started nursing ALL the time!  (And it's been about a week...so maybe not just a growth spurt?)  Would it be crazy to start him on a little sweet potato in the mornings...just to give him some solids, as sweet potatoes seem really safe?  Is that just throwing in too many variables?  Thoughts?

Again, thank you so much for your support.  I am bookmarking those sites right now so I can start reading. 

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:22:46 am »
 :)

Blood is quite hard to see with the naked eye. So it is possible that there is blood but you can't see it.

here is a link to poo pics:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=157413.0

as for the RPAH diet, it IS possible without a dietician, but I would strongly recommend getting one,  I can't imagine starting off without the support of one.  You will definantly require the elimination diet handbook.

Very typical to feed alot before starting solids.    Starting solids should be treated a variable, don't change anything else whilst introducing new foods. If he reacts you won't know if its the food or reflux.  You might be tempted to say the meds are not workign when in fact its the new foods that were introduced.  Also, starting solids later is usually recommended for food intolerant babies.   So I would hold off until he has been on prevacid two weeks, if that's what you want to so. Sweet potato is moderate salicylate, I wouldn't recommend starting on that incase your abby has a sailcylate senstivity.   Foods recommended on the RPAH diet for weaining are: potato, swede, choko, chicken, pear.

Good luck hun, it's a steep learning curve in the beginning.   We'll be here though.  There are other ladies on the food allergies forum that can help you too.   Buntybear is great too  :)

Will email you shortly.

Eloise xx