Author Topic: Really struggling  (Read 1521 times)

Offline joanne.h

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 14, 2011, 09:39:32 am »
Hi-I'm new to the forum and am really needing help-not sure if I'm posting on the right board but have lots of issues.

The big one is E: Over the last few weeks there has been a gradual decline in my 7week old's feeds. At about 4 weeks she was consistently taking 3oz of formula then for the last 3 weeks she is just all over the place. Yesterday was the worst day with her taking only 1oz at three separate feeds. She never takes more than 3oz. She appears hungry but after a few sips begins to scream-when you take the bottle away she stops. At her last weighing she had put on weight but not a huge amount & am dreading her weighing tomorrow.
It's become really distressing to feed her because I'm constantly worried how much she'll take.
A: Having read BW book I understand that at when baby begins to yawn you should begin getting her ready to sleep-my baby will yawn after 15mins! I'm worried at how little activity time this ends up with. If I don't get her to sleep at her first yawns she can last quite a bit longer before she starts to cry
S: She is really good at night and can go upto 6 hours without waking but her days are so variable. yesterday she barely slept until the afternoon but was cranky all day, other days she can sleep the whole day away!
I'd really appreciate any help and advice you can offer. Thank you

Offline ~Emma~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
Re: Really struggling
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 09:42:40 am »
 Hi honey. Sorry I have only have a second but I thought I'd post this link for you to have look at regarding your LO's feeding.

(((((hugs))))))

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=654.0

Another thought I had was regarding teat size. What size are you using at the moment?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 09:46:14 am »
I agree with Emma - have a look at that link. Your feeding issues sound very much like how my refluxers fed. DD especially was like this - 2oz then screaming, arching etc if you tried to get more in her. She would go 4+ hours on 2oz if we let her and she was a big baby so needed the calories.

Have a look at the link, if it seems familiar (and they don't need to have all the symptoms to have reflux) see your Dr - although you may need to keep pushing to be taken seriously.

Laura

Offline joanne.h

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 11:01:17 am »
Thank you both.

I've been querying reflux for a while and will def mention it to gp tomorrow. Any further advice on the activity issues would also be greatfully received!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 11:43:44 am »
Have a look at this link http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=164027.0 to give you some examples of routines. If you do think it's reflux you will find it hard to get sleep sorted until the reflux is under control - although sounds like she is doing great at night!

When she is yawning after 15 mins how long has she actually been awake from at that point? Remember that A time isn't just activity after a feed its really eyes open to eyes shut time. So for tiny LO's 1hr - 1hr 15 is about all you can expect and that includes feeding time and bum change time!

Welcome to the boards by the way!

Laura

Offline joanne.h

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 12:35:44 pm »
Hi,

I suppose from beginning of feed to first yawn would be about 30mins-she takes her bottle really fast! It's just confusing that she seems to yawn constantly but if you put her down she's wide awake even after the winding down!

Joanne

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 12:50:04 pm »
SOmetimes tbeing wide awake can mean more OT, they can get a second wind. I would try putting down after that 1st yawn and  see what gives. Perhaps some OT has just accumlated?

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 14:11:42 pm »
And for some babies yawns are just useless sleep cues  ::). I have never really followed then A's I have found other cues so much more reliable. Both my kids have got starey eyed first, then will rub their heads into my shoulder if I am holding them.

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 16:09:38 pm »
Yep I agree with Liz. DD starts to flail her arms and thumps her side really hard with her fist!

Offline joanne.h

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 10:50:32 am »
Hi,

I think you're both right about yawns-i think a more reliable cue for my baby is red eyes.

I went to GP yesterday and discussed feeding. As she had put on weight they weren't concerned. They said to leave her 4 hours between feeds and didn't really answer why she screams during feeds and seems in pain. They are sending a specilaist health visitor out though.

I've tried leaving her 4 hours but it hasn't made any difference to her amounts apart from at one feed she took 4oz which is the most she's ever had but tghen she screamed after for ages.

As you can imagine it also throws EASY off as there's no way she can cope on 4 hour EASY as she can't stay awake for 2 hours and I presume three hour naps would result in night waking (also I don't think she would sleep for three hours).

Really hoping I can emphasise the whole screaming issue to this health visitor because I feel so helpless for my little girl  at the moment  :'(

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 11:14:20 am »
Honey getting somewhere with getting reflux diagnosed is a tough one. You really need to push if you feel its the issue here. Talking from experience....DS was a refluxer.

Sorry I'm one handed typing here as have LO..... ::)

((((((hugs))))))

Offline joanne.h

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 11:38:30 am »
Hi-thank you-its just so difficult because she has been such a happy little girl but at the moment she's so unhappy. Hopefuly I'll have some sucess with this health visitor x