Author Topic: Only activity she wants is me reading to her???  (Read 1785 times)

Offline lilybug25

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 20
Only activity she wants is me reading to her???
« on: February 17, 2011, 22:55:33 pm »
I don't know if this is the right place so feel free to move me  ;). My 14 month old loves books, Dh and I; heck all of my family loves books, they are everywhere in my home and Lo caught on at around 6 months and has loved them every since. Everyday she will  go into her room, pull all of the book of her baby shelf and sit there flipping every page "reading" her books for anywhere from 45mins to 2 hrs!!! She has about 10 books in her room and about 20-25 books in the livingroom, It started slow but gradually got to the point it is now where all she does is want me to read her everyone of her books(read each book twice, I started that when she was younger). She ven started pulling all her bedroom books into the livingroom so I can read them to her. She rarely if ever plays with her other toys now and if she does it's maybe 5 mins max. As I look around my livingroom right now there are books everywhere only her dump truck of blocks is pulled out(that was played for maybe 2 mins this morning) and she has been up 6 hrs total !!!
I do not want to deter her from reading but I don't know what to do, is this just a phase? Should I continue letting her bring me books read them to her till she gets sick of them? ANy suggection would be great,
Thanks

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Only activity she wants is me reading to her???
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 01:36:38 am »
We have a house full of books too  ;D

This may sound silly, but does she know *how* to play with the other toys?  Do you play with them with her?

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline lilybug25

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 15:03:19 pm »
Yup she knows how to play with them all, She was playing with them before  and when her cousins come over she plays with her toys with them. I make the effort every day to sit on the floor playing with her 15 mins 3 times a day( sometimes more if the house is clean) It's like she doesn't have the attention span for them anymore but will sit and "read" books till she is hungry, needs a bum change or feels like sitting on the potty.

Offline RachelC

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 18:36:41 pm »
I'm guessing phase... just keep offering different toys.  Do you have some "new" toys that she may not have seen in awhile?

Offline lilybug25

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 20:04:59 pm »
no i don't  but when I go out tomorrow I will pick up something new, any suggestions?

Offline RachelC

Offline fignewton

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 00:22:33 am »
Sounds like my Little one....She is in a "phase" (hopefully!) where she starts crying hysterically and saying "boooook, boookk" i I read anything less than like 50 a day! Uggg! My priority was to raise a reader but I feel like I created a monster! :P

Offline brenda2

• Showing Appreciation 227
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 06:05:04 am »
my dd1 loves books too...

my dd1 was (and still is) really into babies (dolls) at this age, feeding them, putting them to sleep, putting them on the potty etc.  she also loves pushing the stroller with the baby in it around (when she started walking).

also music and dancing are a hit.

Offline Ryan&HollysMom

• Claudia-German married to Canadian
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • halloween 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 01:24:55 am »
how about sometimes putting her in a room where there aren't any books? not that books are bad, on the contrary.
my ds is/was like that from an early age. my dd just started looking at A book, when he would've sat there for hours. on a good note, i've definitely raised a reader! his teacher loves to tell me that she likes his attention span at storyhour, he NEVER has issues sitting still for anything like that, and he's starting to read. so you ARE doing a good thing. just maybe spend certain times a day steering her away from books. :-)
Claudia-German married to Canadian

and our angel, 10 weeks, 11/19/08