Author Topic: Childrens films  (Read 5689 times)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Childrens films
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2011, 16:15:22 pm »
I think I was about 7 when my uncle got his betamax and the first film I saw on video was Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Yeah, I think I was that age when I first saw Poltergeist!  My family has banned me from seeing scary movies...I slept with the lights on for weeks after seeing Signs (the one with Mel Gibson, and aliens) and it wasn't even very scary, just one shot where someone is filming a home movie and you see the alien walking in the background...
Heidi

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2011, 17:10:54 pm »
I'm glad to be reminded of what is in Pinnochio That will not be on my list to show DD. Dumbo was fine as she hasn't asked about the drinking part (over her head for the moment) and most of the rest of the movie is fairly mild. The crows, ehhhh we just talk a bit about what things we are allowed to say and what things are not nice to say and she is working on processing that. She does come out with "bad words" every so often, but generally she doesn't really understand them so we just talk about replacing them with nicer words.

I think she is too young for the theater though. I think maybe next year she'd be alright. We'll see. She gets up and wanders away from movies to go play and comes back as they are a bit long.

We did go to see Toy Story on ice....(she hadn't seen the movie) and it was dark and loud and whatnot. She was scared at the beginning of the show and then warmed up and thought it was fantastic! I liked that it was people in costumes and required a bit more imagination and was a fun experience/outing. I would do that again!

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2011, 17:24:56 pm »
I know this will be an opinion that alot of people don't agree with, but I am going to share it anyway. DD has never watched a movie, for many reasons. But for me, and IMO, those films just weren't made for toddlers or preschoolers, and IMO the themes can be  just too intense.  I don't want to start a debate, because everyone is entitled to thier opinion, and everyone should do what they feel is best...but for us, there are a myriad of reasons that we haven't watched...we wonder about looking at the tv for that long, dh and I can both recall being frightened as kids at some of the Disney movies, and plus I am opposed to the whole Princess theme in general.  I know I might be in the minority, but just wanted to offer to OP that it doesn't neccesarily mean that you are "over protective" if you think the movie is too much for your lo....I mean if you think it is, then it is! We can all make decisions that we feel comfortable with, and if you have a little doubt, then that really is ok.  Everyone is different.   :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 17:42:02 pm by Amelia1227 »

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2011, 10:04:54 am »
DS also has a very good imagination so we have to be careful not only about TV but also about which books he reads too.  I don't have a problem per se of him watching something that I know is not scary but TBH he's lost interest after 20/30mins anyway so it really doesn't bother me if we put on an "approved" film for a bit  He certainly won't be going to the cinema anytime soon - he'd hate the loud noise!
LAURA xx

Offline 15milner

• Showing Appreciation 211
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 10:22:45 am »
I think too, it will also depend on what's happening in your family at the time.
Andrew is 'subjected' to way more than Matthew ever was at the same age.  When he was 3.5 Matthew would watch Shrek, Madagascar and cars.  But only at weekend and he'd see half on Saturday and then the rest on Sunday.  Now though, Matthew is old enough to see a whole thing from start to finish in one go and gets the plot etc, but he's 7 and he and Daddy will relax together - so cute both cuddled up on the sofa.  The knock on effect is that Andrew now often sees a whole movie as opposed to half - he is free to wander off at any point and often does but he won't accept being taken away if Matthew is still watching KWIM.

I am struggling with finding appropriate TV for both of them.  Its wet and miserable outside, its the holidays, we do arty stuff, we do playdough, lego, they have the train set out, we read, we play games so balanced in other creative and imaginary stuff.  Matthew doesn't want to watch Thomas the tank engine - he wants scooby doo.  So, they both end up watching both - not good for Andrew watching Scooby - but not sure what to do  :-\  So, we do watch movies instead that both are interested in - but theres a limit on how many times we can watch some ;).

Alex