Author Topic: 16 Month old Constipated  (Read 5338 times)

Offline ConorsMum2009

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
16 Month old Constipated
« on: January 24, 2011, 09:06:08 am »
Hi,

My DS is now almost 16 months old and suffers from constipation. Im labelling it as constipation as he goes to the bathroom but struggles to go.  he can go two days with a dirty nappy and i just want some advice.

I have him on a lax syrup to soften his stool, he drinks loads of water, enjoys fruit and overall have a good diet.  My MIL has stated that her son was the very same and there isn't much i can do, her son got better once he was potty trained, she reckons they don't like the nappy?

Anyway im going to try prune juice today and apple juice?

Any parents have some suggestions?
Thanks

Claire
Ectopic Preg May 2007, right tube removed.  DS born September 2009, DS2 born May '12

Offline ConorsMum2009

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 16 Month old Constipated
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 09:08:14 am »
Forgot to mention he is now 100% on cows milk too so im not sure that this is aggrevating the problem.
Ectopic Preg May 2007, right tube removed.  DS born September 2009, DS2 born May '12

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 13:02:34 pm »
How long has he been on the cow's milk?  What is his diet like otherwise?  For my youngest, her milk intolerance does lead to severe constipation...but many other things can too, like getting too much calcium.  When did the constipation start?
Heidi

Offline ConorsMum2009

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 13:15:58 pm »
Hi thanks for reply.

His diet is good.  He drinks two 8oz bottles per day (morning and bedtime).  Bowl of cereal (weet biscuits eetc or porridge), fruit during the day (eased off on bananas), varied dinners (chicken, fish, beef) somedays pasta etc somedays potatoes, one yoghurt each day, toast or crackers in the evening, liga etc then bedtime bottle. he has a good appetite.  He doesn't eat much cheese either...

Constipation has been ongoing for at least 4-5 months.  He is 100% on cows milk for around 3-4 months so i can't directly assume its the milk but its obviously attributing to it.

I don't like having to rely solely on a lax every day to help him, i would like to try prune juice to see if that helps.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 01:52:17 am »
We used prune juice on Spencer when she was a baby, it worked well.  The rec. here for calcium is 500mg for a toddler per day and milk has 300 per cup.  I suppose if he is senstive to that, it might be worth it to cut back for a bit and see if it helps?  Sounds like he has an awesome diet though! 
Heidi

Offline ConorsMum2009

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 11:51:28 am »
Thanks!

So he is on prune juice and has been farting a good bit! Taking it as a good sign as things could be moving! Also am trying diluted real apple juice to assist!

Thanks for listening.

scarlettsmom

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 02:48:27 am »
Hi there,

How is he doing now?  My DD1 didn't have any food intolerances, but a sensitive tummy, and was constipated quite a bit.  We used prune juice quite often and it worked wonderfully!  Just a little bit went a long way.   ;). Hope your DS (he is adorable btw!) is doing well! 

Offline ConorsMum2009

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 15:51:43 pm »
Hi guys - just to update we had to put him on prescribed powder medicine which has worked really really well! He is back up to full speed and eating everything!!

Thanks

Claire x

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 22:30:48 pm »
Excellent!  ;D