Author Topic: Any natural remedies/treatments for eczema? Could it be due to wheat intolerance  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Chicane

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
Hi all

Am posting on behalf of a friend who's 16 month old suffers from eczema. She wants to try and avoid chemical/medications and was wondering if anyone had any success with other treatments to either help cure it or at least treat the symptoms.

Also he is milk intolerant but do you think the eczema could be due to a wheat intolerance too?

thanks in advance

xo

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
No clue.  Popping this to Allergy land to see what they say.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Hi, it could be down to wheat allergy but would expect to see other symptoms too.

We use Eco balls for washing Olly's clothes in. Not sure about natural creams or ointments though sorry. Would prob go to a homeopath or even a natual health shop for that.

Where abouts on the body is the eczema?

Offline Chicane

Its all over him pretty much. I will suggest the ecoballs. I know she has tried lots of different creams from the health food store...most homeopathic remedies seem to have lactose  in them, we are going to check out if there are any milk free ones around.

Does Olly get eczema as part of his allergy symptoms?

Did you pick up the wheat intolerance through doctors tests, elimination diet or intuition?

thanks!
x

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
Yes, his eczema was food allergy related. He has beautiful skin now he is not exposed to those foods. Not sure if it was the wheat or egg as I cut out both at the same time. We knew that he had allergies but it wasn't until a scratch test at 12 months we knew what it was to.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
Hi again, was in a little independent toy shop today and they had some natural looking creams there for skin condition. Contained things like beeswax etc. Seems that they are fairly available if you look hard enough!.

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
Shea butter..works wonders
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Chicane

Thanks so much, I will pass this info on

x

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Just to pop in, my dietician and naturopath both have mentioned that eczema is usually due to unhappy gut and it can be from any food intolerance or allergy, but mostly corresponds with milk allergy and MPI.

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
Don't know how I missed this when you first posted - Dylan has had eczema since he was a couple of months old, and although his skin is much better now he still flares up on occasion (usually after he's gotten hives from something at daycare).  His is definitely allergy related - it was much worse when he was exclusively breastfed and I was consuming his allergens.  If your friend needs or wants any more information let me know!

FWIW, when we got Dylan's allergy testing done our allergist also tested for dust mite allergy.  He said that often people suffering from eczema have sensitivity to dust mites which can cause or worsen the condition.  I know that anna* 's son Stan has/had pretty severe eczema too, and I don't think that it was food allergy related.  I think his skin was quite sensitive to detergents, but you might want to pm her for more information.
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
There may well be a wheat issue, in which case there may be overall gluten sensitivity. I'd suggest first and foremost getting it ALL out of the diet COMPLETELY for 2 weeks, which is HARD, but possible. So wheat, spelt (low in gluten but still has some), oats unless you're SURE they're gluten-free (they are often processed with wheat and contain residual gluten, plus I've red they have their own protein similar enough to gluten to trigger a reaction in some people), barley, I forget what else but check food allergies, someone'll know for sure.

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
There are some mamas here who have had success resolving eczema by eliminating all detergents as described here:  http://solveeczema.org/

Offline Chicane

you gals are tops! thanks x