Author Topic: Sudden bf weaning/Heard of Neocate?  (Read 1223 times)

Offline tracy21

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 22, 2011, 03:40:21 am »
Hi moms,

I'm going back to work in a week and have to wean my 16mo off of breastfeeding. He is allergic to cows milk, soy, tree nuts, and peanuts so I've been told to try Neocate. Have you ever given it to your baby? I've ordered the chocolate flavor cans. Hopefully its not gross lol. Any experience with this formula?

I bf him four times a day- morning, before nap, late afternoon, and before bed. Any suggestions on how to wean him gently but quickly? He drinks water out of a sippy cup no problem but has never had any milk before because of his allergies so I'm worried about how it will go. Any suggestions?!

Tracy

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Sudden bf weaning/Heard of Neocate?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 19:28:54 pm »
Hi Tracy,

No, I haven't had expereince of this but have heard it is hard to introduce when they are this age. Although I have heard some babies enjoy the flavoured milks. Has your doctor/Paed recomended it to you? It may be best to go onto a standard non dairy milk?? There were loads of ideas on your thread in Nov about it - http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=182165.msg2075712#msg2075712.

Have you seen this FAQ in the Breast Feeding board about Weaning? http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=157385.0. 4 BFs is a lot to wean in one week. I would start with the BFs you won't be home for first. Assuming you work in the days this would be the 2 day feeds though I would hesitate to say do it at the same time.... I will ask a BF moderator to have a look at this post and see if they can offer some advice for you.

*HUGS*

Offline Tay

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 21:01:55 pm »
Hi there,
Is there any particular reason why you want to wean him off completely in one week?  Does your work schedule not allow you to keep any feeds at all? Can you keep at least the first feed of the day and the last for a while?
Thought you would also like to see this link - http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=173308 although you wouldn't really be talking about getting your LO on the bottle the basis for the transition is still the same.
Another thing that springs to my mind: does your LO eat well otherwise? At 16months the main source of nutrition for your LO should be solids, so the biggest transition will be in terms of habits and routines rather than nutrition, iykwim.
I woul as buntybear says try to work on one of the middle daytime feeds, offer some milk in a sippy, maybe a cream cracker or piece of fruit (as a snack) as a replacement and see how he reacts, if it goes ok then you can work on the second daytime feed.
Let us know what you think
xxx

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 22:24:32 pm »
Can I follow as I fear we will be in a similar position soon. I was planning on feeding morning and bedtime, with ebm for the rest, but I am having issues with a breast that may curtail this.

DD rejects the taste of neocate  :'(, and I'm currently waiting for my dietician to get back to me with alternatives. But there are more options over 12 mths - you even mentioned chocolate  ;).

You could consider oat milk if your LO rejects. That is what we were planning when M is over 12 mths if she continues to refuse neocate.