Author Topic: Started out so well...  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Nevette

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 21, 2011, 18:01:27 pm »
Is this common?  DS started on solids at 5.5 months.  He was doing so well, eating everything and anything.  We started on home made purees and introduced a few finger foods around 6.5 months.  He is nearly 8 months now and has started refusing his meals.  He has lost interest in finger foods as well, preferring to play rather than eat!  I know food is meant to be fun until he's one but the last month he has been almost sleeping through the night and this coincided with him eating 3 good meals a day.  We have been plagued with horrendous sleep since birth so his recent improved sleep has been a godsend.  I am concerned that his NW will return with the reduction in day solids and I go back to work in a month so would like to prevent that if possible.  The only thing I had begun to do was add more texture to his food to encourage chewing.  He will still eat yoghurt and fromage frais!  He is a big lad (75th-91st centile).  Should i go back to smooth purees or increase milk to compensate for not eating?
His EASY looks like this:
wake anywhere from 6-7
7a.m bottle (7oz)
8a.m breakfast
9.30 sleep (45 mins to 1 hour)
11a.m bottle (5oz) - he was starting to lose interest in this so i have been reducing
12p.m- lunch
1.30p.m sleep (1.5 hours)
3p.m bottle (7oz)
5 p.m dinner
6.30p.m bath
6.45p.m bottle (7oz)
7- 7.15 sleep

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 19:52:13 pm »
Is your LO teething?  It's very normal for babies to lose their appetite when teething.  And really it's normal for them to go through phases where they're not as interested in solids.

I wouldn't go back to smooth purees, and I don't think I'd increase milk either as he is getting more than enough.  I know all about the fear of NWings, but I don't think that should be a reason to panic and try to get more food into your LO if he is not interested, kwim?  We can't force them to eat afterall.  ;)

I think it's totally normal for them to start playing with finger foods at this age, and that's ok.  He will figure out how to eat some too. 

TBH I don't think you are doing anything wrong.  Just keep offering, and offer a good variety.  I suspect that it's just a phase and he will go back to being more interested at some point.  :)

Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Nevette

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 14:37:06 pm »
Thank you Martina.  Not sure about teething, we have 2 bottom ones and swollen gums at the top but no change for a few weeks there.  We had just got to a really nice routine and bang everything changes! Will keep offering food but not forcing and hope that his good appetite comes back. 

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 15:42:13 pm »
If the gums are swollen then teeth may be on the way and they would be sensitve.  So that could be part of the issue.
Here is a link that might be reassuring:  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=182686.0

They are always changing things up on us, aren't they?  I just try to tell myself that things always get back to good again eventually.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Nevette

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 10:07:15 am »
DS has now started refusing his milk feeds as well as solids.  Does this happen with teething?  We have gone from 26oz + 3 good meals to 19oz and a few spoonfuls and a couple of bites if finger food.  He seems ok in himself, a little bit whiney during the day but easily cheered up. 

Offline GingerNut

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 11:01:35 am »
It's perfectly normal for them not to want bottles while teething, the sucking action increases the blood supply to the gums which makes them sorer. Have you tried giving him milk in a sippy cup?

My DD is just 8 months and has started going through a rough patch; she's teething badly (the top two are coming in together), but as well as that I think there's a big growth spurt and developmental leap going on. Have you read the Wonder Weeks book? Check out their website: http://www.thewonderweeks.com/
It might be another explanation.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 12:48:22 pm »
Yes, they can refuse milk as well when teething.  Have you tried offering pain meds 30mins before a feed to see if it helps?
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Nevette

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 13:10:57 pm »
Thank you ladies!  I forget about pain meds.  I will try a sippy cup as well.  Sorry if i sound neurotic, I have been spoilt with his feeding up to now, he has never refused anything before!

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 13:12:46 pm »
lol, don't feel neurotic!  It's all part of being a mum.  ;)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Nevette

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 17:57:35 pm »
In case anyone reading this is going through the same. DS suddenly regained his appetite once the top teeth broke through, so it was teething.  Advice from Martina and Ginger Nut really worked.  Pain meds enabled him to finish his bedtime milk from bottle and as I am against too much pain relief I gave day feeds from sippy cup, a little messier but really seemed to help DS. I also found he didn't mind  finger foods from the fridge (chilled brocolli, sweet potato wedges, fruit etc). 

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 17:59:35 pm »
Great news!!  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline newmumtol

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 17:50:49 pm »
OMG can i just say thank you so much for this thread. I had originally posted about an ew which has turned into multiple nw and what i forgot to add was appetite loss after being great little eater. And she still always eats the yogurt too. She's 8 months next week and all the above makes me feel so much better.

We did have similar when first teeth came through now think about it but feels like top two have been trying to make appearance for ages!

anyway thank u so much again i start work next week and feel I can do so tired but a bit more sane!!! big hugs

Offline Nevette

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 14:07:25 pm »
Really pleased it helped.  Somehow you feel so much better knowing what you are going through is 'normal', whatever normal is!  I am going to look for your NW thread as I also have that to contend with!