Author Topic: Trying weaning again...any advice...  (Read 4132 times)

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Trying weaning again...any advice...
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 21:14:03 pm »
Carrots are great, it's fine if bits come off.
Fingers of toast, or Stan used to love the end of a really crusty loaf
A stem of broccoli
Sweet potato wedges
A spear of steak (Stan used to suck it until it was just grey, then throw it away)
Cucumber sticks
Ripe pear

Offline kiz8888

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 09:29:16 am »
Hi, I've been giving my lo breadsticks, roasted carrot, parsnip and sweet potato, slices of pineapple and melon with the skin on. I think roasting the veg makes it less slippery iykwim.

From previous experience I'd avoid raw carrot, apple and cheese, like you say in long cubes as I felt that chunks could break off and he'd choke on them.

Good luck x

AliG

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 10:01:17 am »
Thanks again everyone.

Anna, thanks for the tips. what kind of steak did you give and how did you cook? I like my steak rare but not sure LO would appreciate! Also, what size/shape bit did you give him?

Kiz, thanks also. Can I be a pain and ask about the roasted veggies? How long do you cook for? With oil? And how big are the wedges/pieces? Do you leave the skin on the potato? It's a good point about them being less slippery when cooked that way. Melon is a good idea actually, as it's so soft and will turn to mush when sucked. Have you found that? And with the pineapple?

I wondered whether a cheese like Edam would be ok, as it's rubbery and less likely to break?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 12:42:39 pm »
I make sweet potato fries (you can use any root veggies) by tossing them in a bit of olive oil and baking them at 350 for about 30mins. 
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline kiz8888

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 19:12:06 pm »
I cook the roasted veg at gas mark 5 (or 180) for about 30 mins. I'd peel the skin off, then cut either into wedges or finger sized pieces (my finger...not his..lol) So far, with the melon and pineapple he's not actually managed to bit a bit off, but he's enjoyed having a good old suck on them and I'm guessing he gets some goodness from just doing that.

I tried him with pear tonight after his puree but it seemed too slippery for him to hold so will maybe try that again in a few days as he was just getting himself frustrated as he couldn't get it in his mouth.

Have you started blw yet?

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 20:37:49 pm »
I gave him a hunk of meat about the size of his fist, so he could just grab/chew/suck it. Cooked through but not tough.

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 07:54:52 am »
Well, I should probably not follow my own advise on here.  Last night, I was eating a piece of cheese, and my 6 mo was eyeing it, so I gave her a few pieces, and now as I write this, it is 1:45 am and she has been up for over an hour passing gas.  I don't know why I did that, esp since I told AliG I did not offer cheese to my DD1 until about 8 mo.  I feel so bad for my LO (not to mention me) tonight :(

AliG

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2011, 18:56:46 pm »
Oh no, so sorry to hear that... All ok now?

Kiz - yep, I have, started last weekend, so 6 days in now. Haven't tried anything new yet, but I think he actually swallowed a very small bit of pear yesterday without gagging, which is amazing. I think he did anyway. Tried broccoli today for the first time, which was interesting - and VERY messy! Most ended up on the floor and not in his mouth, but hey. Think I may need to steam for less time though as it was quite soft.
Also gave him yoghurt in a bowl with a spoon - he went for it and guzzled a fair amount. First dairy so let's hope there is no reaction...

Offline Texomamama

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2011, 21:45:26 pm »
Well, live and learn on the cheese.  Needless to say, I will hold off on dairy for now.  Can't wait to try yogurt though.  It was (and still is) one of my "go-to's" with DD1.  I think she may have starved w/o it.  Baby seems fine today.  On the plus size, the pieces of cheese I gave her were about the size of a pea, and once she had them in her mouth, she ate them with no gagging at all.  I think they just melted away....

I know what you mean about the broccoli and carrots though.  It is a fine line in making them soft enough to chew, w/o them becoming mush.

AliG

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 10:33:14 am »
Glad to hear she is better.

I'm still struggling with what size pieces to give. He often seems to gum off huge bits of things like banana, but saying that, they then come back out.

Do you think it's best to hold off cheese for a couple of months then?

Offline Texomamama

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 12:56:57 pm »
I wish I would have written all this stuff down with DD1.........but, I am pretty sure I waited until close to 7.5-8 mo with her for cheese and yogurt.  I also went to the wholesomebabyfoods.com website, and it indicates 8 mo for dairy. Having said that, I know a pediatrician who just told my friend who has a 7 mo, that plain yogurt was just fine. 

I would be curious to know when some other moms say they started dairy.  Anyone?

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 13:08:36 pm »
It's fine if be bites pieces off! Let him play with it in his mouth - he is starting to learn how to chew, so he will turn them over in his mouth for a while, then either they will break down and be swallowed, or be spit back out. It's how he will learn! If he gags on it, that's fine. If he actually chokes, lean him forward and pat him HARD on the back and it will shoot right out.

You can definitely try cheese - just give a small amount, and give it in the mrning so that any digestive issues are worked out by bedtime. If he's fine with it then you can move it to lunch/tea time

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 13:33:54 pm »
I can't remember when we started dairy with DS1, well after 7mos I think.  But I went pretty slow with him, for no particular reason, just because. 

With DS2 it wasn't until about 9mos because we weren't sure if he could tolerate it.  He had more of a sensitive tummy when he was younger.  But since 9mos he has been fine with yogurt, cheese, and hidden dairy.

I think it depends on if your LO has shown a sensitivity to it in the past.  It is one of those things you want to watch out for reactions, but if you suspect your LO would be fine then I don't see anything wrong with starting it by 7mos.  One of those mummy instinct kinda deals!  ;)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

AliG

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 09:39:44 am »
I think the advice varies by country too... Here in the UK they say it's fine to give after 6mths, but to maybe delay slightly if you have a family history of dairy allergy. But obviously there are 'high risk' foods, like dairy, eggs, chocolate etc. which it's always good to leave a few days between when introducing.

Anyone done blueberries? Before they have the pincer grip sorted, I guess you could puree and mix with porridge or yogurt? Same with grapes and cherries - if they can't picner grip yet, should I wait? I know the idea with BLW is you put the stuff in front of them and let them choose and pick up. But I guess holding half a grape and seeing if he takes it would be ok...

AliG

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 09:42:04 am »
oh p.s., sorry, also meant to say re sweet potato wedges, I guess these would be ok cooked in the evening and kept in the fridge overnight for the next day?