Author Topic: not opening mouth?not ready or doesn't like it  (Read 1454 times)

Offline *Amy*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
  • Originally from Ireland - Living in Dubai
not opening mouth?not ready or doesn't like it
« on: February 23, 2011, 06:23:14 am »
DD is 6 months old on Sunday. I have been trying to start solids for a week or so now.
I am doing a combo of BLW and purees.
She will gnaw on a piece of toast, and play with a carrot - broccoli floret she put to her lips and immediately dropped it :)
Purees - she won't open her mouth for cereal, sweet potato, carrot, apple, or pear.

Is she not ready? should I abandon all purees and go BLW way?
I do really want to go full BLW but I am so so afraid she will choke. I can't get the consistency of the carrots correct, they fall apart in her hands............but then I am worried if they are too hard, she will bite a chunk off and try and swallow - she has two front teeth now, and has had them for 2 months already!
I am so torn.....DS would open his mouth like a bird and cried in between each mouthful as I wasn't going fast enough!!

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
Re: not opening mouth?not ready or doesn't like it
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 15:38:29 pm »
I have found that when my 5.5 mo wants solids, there is no mistaking it.  We have been on solids now about 2 weeks, and when nshe is interested, she opens her mouth wide, and fusses when I am not going fast enough.  She is already showing definate preferences for some things, esp sweet potatoes mixed with apples or pears.  There are other things she is not too keen on (green veggies, carrots).  When she shows no interest, I try for a lttle while, then abandon it.

6 months seems a little on the young side to get a good "meal" out of finger foods- toast, soft carrots etc, however, if she can start to grasp and get the food in her mouth, go for it (but as you say, watch out for choking).

I really wouldn't sweat any of the details at this early stage.  They are just learning about tastes and textures.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 16:03:50 pm »
6 months seems a little on the young side to get a good "meal" out of finger foods- toast, soft carrots etc, however, if she can start to grasp and get the food in her mouth, go for it (but as you say, watch out for choking).
This is true, but then again the point of BLW is not to get them eating proper meals early on.  If you are interested in BLW, be prepared that she will eat very little for possibly several more months.

I can tell you she sounds just like my DS2.  He would not open his mouth.  I started trying around 5mos and it was a no go.  Tried again at 6mos, still no.  I would try every so often just to test but nothing.  So I went BLW and it was definitely the way forward with him.

I think I've seen you on the BLW support thread Amy?  The btdt moms over there can really help and offer support and reassurance, especially about the choking fear. 

At the end of the day you can't force her.  If she's not interested in the spoon then I'd stop.  She's still so young, I would adjust your approach so as to not turn her off of eating, kwim?  Don't stress, there are lots of ways for her to enjoy solids.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline *Amy*

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 06:07:12 am »
Ok thanks :)
Going to concentrate more on the BLW next week - she is sick at the moment - has a high temp - but in otherwise good spirits - won't take a bottle and will only BF so I am guessing teething???
She sucks her thumb so her hand to mouth coordination is excellent.
thanks again xx

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 12:37:52 pm »
Good luck!  Keep us posted.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 12:53:10 pm »
It's really worth reading the baby led weaning book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-led-Weaning-Helping-Your-Baby/dp/0091923808 - as it goes into detail about how to do blw, and explains all about the diffference between choking and gagging...they are very different things.  The gag reflex is there to protect your baby from choking, and so even though it can look dramatic when they are gagging it is actually their body doing the right thing.  We did BLW and there was plenty of gagging/spitting out food etc  :P, but the one time DS was actually at risk of choking was when I gave him a jar of baby food with chunks - he was not used to not being in control of what went into his mouth and we had a worrying couple of moments where I had to hit him on the back to get it up :(.  So by no means does blw mean that they are at risk of choking - but I would not have felt that confident if I hadn't done some thorough research first - so you're right to be cautious!

By the way, roasted carrots are lush - DS loved them and it was easier to cook them right than boiling/steaming
xx
Claire x

Offline *Amy*

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 14:25:16 pm »
Thanks - I actually have both books the Gill Rapely one and the cookbook - so I am all set :)
Will try the roasted carrots tomorrow - how long do you roast them for? can you tell I never cook without a recipe :) LOL

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 15:37:00 pm »
I agree the book is very reassuring.  :)

I am not much of a cook either!  :P  But whenever I don't know how long to roast vegetables for I just google a recipe and can usually figure it out easily.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010