Author Topic: New to bottle. Does she not like bottle or is she full?  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
New to bottle. Does she not like bottle or is she full?
« on: February 24, 2011, 19:58:48 pm »
Dd is nearly 5 weeks. I am currently breastfeeding but have tried to top up with a bottle of formula in the evening. Dd had bf at 5pm and then seemed hungry again at 7pm so tried a bottle of formula. She did eventually take just over 2oz but seemed to really struggle. She seemed to want it but not iykwim! Do you think this was because she was trying to tell me she was full or that it was the bottle. Should I have kept trying? I am a bit worried that she doesn't like the bottle.

Offline Texomamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: New to bottle. Does she not like bottle or is she full?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 21:43:10 pm »
It certainly can take time for an EBF baby to get used to the bottle.  Perhaps you can ease her into it by expressing some BM, and then feeding that to her in the bottle.  Then, when she catches on, start adding formula to it so that you have a mixture of BM and formula, then eventually, all formula.

Try and use a bottle that closely resembes the breast as possible (debate on what that is is a whole other topic.  You may want to do a search on "best bottles", but the ones I always see mentioned on here are Avent, Dr. Brown's and Tommy Tipee).  Start out using a slow flow/standard newborn nipple.

And, don't try and force it.  You can't get them to eat when they don't want to in my experience.  Good luck!

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 21:54:43 pm »
Its a very different sucking mechanism for bottle feeding from BF'ing. It just takes time to adjust. I agree with PP re using EBM during the transition. My DD has been taking a bottle at bedtime for ages now and she still messes with it!

One tip I do have is to let your LO take the bottle in herself. Just place it on her lips and try to let her slide the teat in herself. This is what works for my LO anyways.

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 08:34:18 am »
I have tried a bottle everyday now since last posting. DH tried also and we also tried different time of day. She hates it! I also tried a carton of aptamil rather than powered stuff, no joy! Do you think i should try switching formula? Has anyone used NUK bottles with latex teat?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 12:34:53 pm »
It is possible that she doesn't like the bottle type you are using, or it could be the formula - are you able to pump and offer BM instead? This link should give you some help and ideas to try http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=178500.0

Laura

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 12:56:59 pm »
 I agree with laura re the BM. Just to get her used to one thing at a time.

(((((hugs))))) I understand how frustrating it can be.

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 13:32:33 pm »
Thanks. I have tried pumping but really not getting enough when I pump which is why I am trying formula. The first bottle we gave was breastmilk and she didn't object so much so it is probably the formula. I just don't think will have the to pump as I get so little off and have a two year old !

Offline Lolly

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 14:13:07 pm »
It is hard with a toddler too! You may not have to offer BM for long, if you are able to do it you can just offer BM for a few feeds to get her used to drinking from the bottle and then gradually mix the formula with BM and reduce the BM until it's just formula. If you can do the mixing you can decrease the BM by 1oz every 2 or 3 days - so if she has a 5oz bottle you would do 4oz BM + 1oz formula, then 3oz BM + 2oz formula etc. Hopefully it wouldn't take too long to adjust her to the taste.

I would also stick to one feed at the same time every day so she gets used to having a bottle at that time. Have you tried different temps too? That may be worth experimenting, some babies prefer it at room temp, some like it quite warm.

Laura

Offline Vally

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 15:41:53 pm »
Hi. Just to update you. I tried HIPP organic formula today and she took it so hopefully that was the problem. Obviously doesn't like Aptamil. Hopefully this will last. Xx

Offline Lolly

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 16:27:19 pm »
Well done! I like simple solutions! Fingers crossed for you!

Laura