Author Topic: Milk allergy or just overly concerned??  (Read 1074 times)

Offline IzzyD's mom

• http://little(ruder word than poops that starts with 'sh') andgiggles.blogspot.com/
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Milk allergy or just overly concerned??
« on: March 03, 2011, 03:26:20 am »
DS was given formula in hospital when he was born with no ill effects.
Since then he has been breastfed and I havent eliminated anything (well apart from alcohol of course) from my diet. He has never been specially gassy, his bm's have always been normal and he has never really spat up with any regularity (aside from the odd bit of post feed milk burps when he was younger). At 5 months I decided to try him with some solids. DD has no allergies and will pretty much eat ANYTHING! DS is not interested in solids but will have a few mouthfuls. I decided to start with some baby rice and formula and that night he was real cranky. He cut some teeth right after so not sure if that was the cause. I decided to forget the formula and rice and try something else. He had banana and breast milk and although he didnt particularly like it he didnt seem to be in pain. I thought I would try banana with formula and although he didnt seem to be in pain I thought he maybe has some red patches near to his mouth before his nap but after his nap they were gone. We tried carrot and oats with breastmilk with no problems. Today I decided to try the rice with breast milk- he ate maybe 3 teaspoons and then spat up (although I was walking with him at the time and this may have been due to pressure and movement) and I think he had some red spots again.
Do you think he maybe has a milk intolerance?
If so should I give it a few weeks and try him again. His reactions seem to be pretty mild if he does have a problem and like I said he has had formula in the past and I eat dairy and neither of those seemed to have bothered him in the past.
Should I give it a couple of days and try again to see if I was just a coincidence?

Any advice is very welcome

Offline inoella

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 13
Re: Milk allergy or just overly concerned??
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 03:58:48 am »
Hello! I don't have any experience with milk allergies, but I thot I'd just share that my DD didn't take to rice cereal at all. Just wasn't interested and although it's so hard to tell that early it seemed to give her tummy troubles. If he likes oat, tho, I'd just stick with that for now and try rice in a month or so. I've also heard that bannanas can be troublesome for the tummy too unless they're super ripe. Have you tried peaches? That was favorite in our house at that age. I don't think it's unusual to not be too interested in solids at 5 months. Maybe just stick with what is working for now and add in a few new things at a time in a few weeks when he's more used to digesting the solids.
Good luck!
*Jaci*

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 03:59:37 am »
hmmm...it's hard to say what it could be.  Are you giving him a few days between trying new foods? that way you know for sure that any reaction is to a particular food.  I wouldn't really suspect the milk because you say he can tolerate formula and dairy thru BM...what else is in the rice cereal? or could it be the rice itself?  
Heidi

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 04:00:18 am »
Took us a good long while to handle rice here too. Also, is the rice processed someplace where other foods are processed? Like tree nuts or wheat?

Offline IzzyD's mom

• http://little(ruder word than poops that starts with 'sh') andgiggles.blogspot.com/
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 09:10:14 am »
no idea- i do leave a buffer between each new food. I think I will just give it a miss for another couple of weeks and then try again. He hasnt been specially fussy today so if he does have an issue i think it is very mild.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 18:50:02 pm »
Hi, I think it is too early to tell really. If you are unsure leave it for a bit and try again, as you say. Rice is notoriously binding and we stayed clear of it after trying it first and not agreeing with Olly. Same with banana and sw potato. There are loads of ideas what to start with on the Feeding Solid Food board. HTH x