Author Topic: Mystery Reaction  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Mystery Reaction
« on: March 06, 2011, 21:58:11 pm »
On Friday morning James had another mystery reaction. We had just got to school when he said his mouth felt funny, and he was sick twice. I put him in car and went to mother in laws as he wanted to go and see her. At this point was not sure if he was ill or if it was a reaction. It was a 2 minute journey and hives were appearing. Gave James some piriton. Hives were getting biger, kept bringing up saliva and could not stop sneezing. Gave another dose of piriton but things were not improving. James started wheezing and was sick again. I called an ambulance. Paramedics gave him a nebulizer and took us straight to A&E. He was on oxygen and hooked to sats monitor. By this time his skin was beetroot ad he was so itchy. They gave him prednisalone and another nebulizer. His BP was dropping, skin was getting worse and lips were puffy. At this point they gave him a shot of adrenaline. This improved his BP and his o2 sats quickly. His skin started to calm down but then started flaring again. They gave him some more piriton and this did slowly get his skin under control. They decided to keep James in hospital overnight as we did not know what the reaction was to. They gave piriton every 6 hours and also gave another dose of prednisalone the following day. The Consultant at the hospital prescribed an epipen jnr and had the nurse give us some training before we left.

Throughout this whole process I stayed calm. I thought I was ok about the whole process and did not feel panicky. Today I had to leave James just for a few minutes with my in laws and the reality of the situation hit me. I felt sick and still do actually.

James is at school tomorrow. His community nurse is going to school to do epipen training, but that might not be until the Tuesday or Wednesday. I am worried about that. I think I would feel better if we knew what the reaction was to. The unknown is scary. We have an appointment with his immunologist on the 22nd March ad I am hoping he will agree to further allergy testing to try and figure this out.

I suppose the one good thing that has come from this is we finally have an epipen for James.

Kelly
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 22:44:43 pm by Jimbob »

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 22:02:33 pm »
Oh Kelly, that sounds so so scary.  Its little wonder you feel sick thinking about it. 

So many {{{hugs}}}  Hope the allergy testing will get you some answers xx

Offline Jimbob

Re: Mystery Reaction
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 22:03:10 pm »
Thank you

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 09:11:32 am »
Just wanted to drop off some hugs.... that sounds so scary and he is lucky to have you as a mother who handled the situation with such calm... wow.  I take my hat off, you will get through this. I hope you get some answers by the end of March  :)

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 09:23:25 am »
Thank you

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 09:58:00 am »
How you doing today hun? Did you sleep ok?  Hows james?

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 10:18:10 am »
James is fine but I lay awake most of the night. The school will not administer the epipen until they have had official training. I understand this ad I know its not likely to happen again before they have the training but because we don't know what he reacted to it worries me. I am sure it will get easier with time though.

Thank you for asking, Kelly

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 21:08:57 pm »
I have had more epipen training today from James' community nurse and feel much better about things. We now have an Allergy plan in place. I have also attended the school epipen training which was give by the school nurse. This was helpful as I now feel confident leaving James there. They also have a copy of his allergy plan along with his epipen, inhaler and antihistamine.

Kelly