Author Topic: Tell me what I don't want to hear  (Read 2803 times)

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Tell me what I don't want to hear
« on: March 07, 2011, 09:19:03 am »
So we have been waiting for an opportunity to do a raw goat milk trial in Ds 11. 5 months old as an alternate milk source for 6 weeks now.  He has been either teething, sick,  or weaned from night feeds (sleep training) in that time.  I am sick of waiting. I thought a window was appearing this week  as we were making some headway with weaning his night feed.  Then suddenly he started waknig for 1.5 hours a time for many mights in a row.  Yesterday we just spotted some white on his gum , it's ANOTHER tooth and now his nose is running clear  :-\

Now I am in the situation where I am desperate to wind back the breastfeeding...and need to get this food challenge done.  I am seriously over my restricted diet which is cardboard.  I am seriously considering just proceeding with the milk trial and going against protocol.    What should I do?

His poos are normal right now but he is still NW'ing repeatedly and some long Nw's. So if he reacts to the milk I will know if the poos change, but settledness wise: - I don't have his normal baseline in place, he is quite unsettled in the day, clingy and waking prematurely from naps.

What should I doooooooo???????

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Tell me what I don't want to hear
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 09:29:01 am »
That is hard. I can see why you want to challenge but you have to ask yourself if you will be able to see clearly if your lo is failing the trial. I don't know how severe your lo's symptoms have been and you will know if its right to go ahead with this challenge or not really.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 14:27:05 pm »
If his poo changes then I would go for it. With Olly the only sign was long NWs so we wouldnt have been able to but for you it is different. May as well get any NWs out the way at the same time!

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 20:43:42 pm »
I'd wait Eloise...... :-\. I want to get egg finished and do milk soon too - have been wanting to do it for weeks and I'm not getting the opportunity either. Hugs. It sucks! But even more for you since you're waiting to EAT again!
Jenny - mama to

Offline EloysH

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 11:19:14 am »
Well I've decided to wait till Sunday.  His b'day partty is on Sat I don't think a reaction at that time would be cool for either of us. Besides, his cold is still pretty snotty, his tooth is not through (but nearly) and is waking alot at night.  His poos are great though  ::)

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 13:00:51 pm »
I think I'd wait until after all of that also :)

I can only imagine how 'done' you are with your ED. You're a trooper for going it this long.

Fingers crossed for Sunday then.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 18:32:37 pm »
Sounds like a good plan. It's a hard wait....
Jenny - mama to

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 13:39:36 pm »
I think your making the right choice esp with his birthday you dont want to start something and ruin the day

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 05:55:58 am »
hi elo, how'd it go?
similar situation here, ds2 is refusing milk during the day so effectively on just 2 milk feeds. this would be fine if he'd take neocate advanced (the toddler one with more calcium) but he HATES it. so we are about to have to fast track a dairy trial and he just had his MMR shot so really 'should' be waiting 2 weeks. i was thinking i 'should' be able to tell by his poop too but then i cant assess any NW properly either, ugh. hugs hun, thinking of you :-*

Offline EloysH

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 09:46:54 am »

Good luck hun for when you try! We are so far behind on shots but honestly we haven't even had a spare day where he is not teething or not having a cold or not on a food trial, or sleep training or weaning a night feed to do it and I keep putting it at the bottom of the list!!  I plan to get him his 6 months shots ASAP though  ::)

oh well we are on Day 4 and he's only taking sips. One of the days he drank the full 30ml. He is supposed to drink 100ml a day for the next 7 days and then we can declare the all clear.  So far a "touch" of mucus on one or two poos but other poos completely lovely.  No further unsettledness or NW more than "normal" he's just cut a tooth.  So the jury is out for another week I think!

I am mixing it with rice milk so its more tasty for him... its such a strong taste. If he really won't drink it I will make bannana smoothies or something as I just want to know if he tolerates it or not.  I need to know if I can start eating dairy again!

It is exciting to start contemplating hidden dariy in my diet. :o

I am not worried if he won't drink it though, we still have buffalo milk yoghurt up our sleeve and then if he won't tolerate that we also have the plan for no dairy but calcium and fats through diet.  I think dairy is very overated, really we don't need it and plenty of cultures have little or no dairy in their diet and they all have enough calcium......

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 10:19:15 am »
elo, can you remind me what foods you were told to use for calcium? k is still on mostly low sals so i dont know if i'll be able to get enuf into him with other foods :-\ (stuck on 5tsp again, any more gets a reaction so is going to be a LONG road to build his tolerance there)

Offline EloysH

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 23:31:57 pm »
to replace the milk:

calcium:  chickpeas & bokchoy - (moderate sal for bok choy) put into one meal a day as much as they can eat. Also Sardines or canned salmon (he won't eat those though)
fats: 1/4 teaspoon gee & 1 egg yolk per day (mixed into cooked veges or patties

Sorry that his tolerance isn;t building, i might be worth trying him on some glycine, zinc and activated B6.  Teh more research I have done confrims that the main reason they can't handle the chemicals is lack of enzymes needed to metabolise, that these supplements assist the body to metabolise and clear the chemicals out the the system quicker so they don;t build up and cause reactions.  We are back on the supps again...

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 10:10:43 am »
thanks elo :-* how much calcium were you told he needed per day? i've been told 500mg, and am thinking that's an awful lot of chickpeas lol :P

Offline EloysH

Is this a reaction?
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 23:37:35 pm »
I didn't get that info.... I need to go back to find that out if he can't/won't have dairy.  All i know is the foods that I should get into him each day and serves. 

So Kai has lots of tiny tiny bumps allover his back tummy and legs. But not on face, neck, hands or feet.  They aren't red.  You cna only see them from a certain angle they are very small and not prominent.  He has never had anything like this on his skin, its not reactive skin IKWIM.

They Don't really look like a rash or hives, he's had them for a few days now, since I started him on one teaspoon of buffalo yoghurt.  Anyone know if that would be a reaction?  His poos are fine.  It could be some soap or something,   I don't know.

Offline huntersmummyinoz

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 03:52:22 am »
when K gets a skin reaction, it is usually his cheeks if only mild, but if he is having a more severe reaction then i will see the rash on his tummy and back too (very fine red spots tho) but he's always had mucousy poop too when it is a severe reaction.

anything different used on his skin? soap, washing powder, moisturiser?? (k def gets little bumps but no redness from various moisturisers, have only found one that is good so far). outdoors more than usual? (i'm thinking crawling on grass, etc). hotter at night? k will often get a mild heat rash on tummy and back but that is little red bumps too.

when K has a possible reaction (mild) i either continue for a few more days to see if symptoms disappear or worsen, or i ditch it and retry in 2 weeks. so hard when it's not conclusive as there is usually a teething Q for us during food trials too which makes me Q everything ::)