Author Topic: fingerfood bfast ideas  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Mama2boys

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 247
fingerfood bfast ideas
« on: March 08, 2011, 22:13:20 pm »
Hi,

Looking for some good finger foods for bfast.

DS won't let me feed him :(

Thanks!
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: fingerfood bfast ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 22:20:27 pm »
Toast in fingers
Omlette cut into strips
Banana/any other fruit
bran or lentil or banana mini muffins

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 22:23:58 pm »
Eggy bread/french toast cut into strips...yum. 
Toast with mashed banana
Homemade pancakes with fruit (blueberries etc), nice dipped in yoghurt

Claire x

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 22:27:10 pm »
hmm thanks ladies, doing most of these. normaly he gets bread and butter/pancake or waffle with some fruit. he doe snot like bananas...

I need to try and cook muffins and see if he will eat those... anything else for easy preparedness?? can I do soemehing with cereal?
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 22:31:15 pm »
Just dry cereal he can eat with his pincer grip?

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 22:34:28 pm »
well he does not like cheerios, too bland for him I think...and the cereal he likes - a bit sweeter I am scare dof givinga nd it tends to get hard and chokey
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 01:44:07 am »
We do most of what has been mentioned as well.  What about granola?  I find F can pick up granola clusters and eat them pretty easily.  Frozen wild blueberries are a good finger food fruit, and he also enjoys melon slices.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 07:30:25 am »
i've started to make oat bars with dried fruits and grated apple sweetened with fruit juice. bake up a batch, cut them up and store them in air tight containers they last about a week as snacks but would make good brekky. If you need the bits to be small or even mushy you can just whizz the mix in the food processor before baking...

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 15:42:50 pm »
Oatbars recipe woulc be much appreciated!  :-* Thanks!

I like the garnola idea will try that and can soak it in a bit of milk just to soften it up...
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Chicane

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 11:54:07 am »
Hi Mukta

I use this recipe as a base http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jan/18/feel-good-flapjacks-recipe

But I cut out all the sugar and only use 1 table spoon of agave syrup - I find they are still sweet enough if you use fruit juice instead and I omitted the ginger as I am not a fan....and each batch comes out a little different as I play with various ingredients depending on what I have at the time, I've become very relaxed with the measurements so the below is an estimate.

Basically I chop up about 3-4 dates, if I can get my hands on organic dried apricots I will chop up 3-4 of those, a handful of raisins/sultanas or cranberries. Grate up a whole apple (I don't bother peeling it but you might want to), toast a handful of almonds (without the skin) and chop them up very finely to almost a meal consistency, melt about 150g butter and mix in one table spoon of agave syrup (you can use any kind of syrup or sugar or nothing if you like) stir it all together with 200g rolled oats (the fine ones) a sprinkle of cinnamon and around 150 ml of fruit juice (usually mixed fruit/veg or grape juice) mix it all well and then put it in a square tin, i press the mixture down quite hard so its about 2-3 mm thick - so, quite thin and bake it at around 180 C for around 20 mins, I usually put a baking sheet over the top for the last 5 mins so it wont burn on top. Pull it out, let it cool in the tin and then cut it to desired sizes. I think if you wanted the pieces smaller you could whizz the mixture in the food processor before baking. You could even roll the mix into balls and bake that way.

We also do muffins for snacks, they would work for brekky too. for I use this recipe as a base http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jun/05/savoury-muffin-recipes-fearnley-whittingstall

I throw in any left over veg or whatever is lying around...ones that have been popular have been grated apple and sultana, zucchini and goats cheese, plain cheese (I use a mix pf parmeasan, chedder, gruyer...what ever is in the fridge), carrot and apple. I've done them with plain flour and with spelt flour both come out good. I bake them in mini muffin trays as they are easy for little fingers and perfect snack size. They freeze well too.  The trick with muffins is not to stir the mixture too much, its okay if its nor totally combined, you stir too much and they come out hard.

Another easy thing you can batch bake is cheese sticks and mini quiches

let us know how you go

xo

Offline knackered

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 11:57:24 am »
You can also make porridge that's nice and thick, leave it in the saucepan to get a bit cold and let him eat it with his fingers. It's a bit messy, but really nice eaten like that.

xx
Anna x

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 18:22:27 pm »
Thanks Chicane, we will do some baking this weekend for sure!

Anna: we are doing that, I make savoury porridge as well for his meals and make a cake of it and just a quick deep fry but tahts normally for dinner as he surely needs a bath after that meal ;) Thanks!
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline knackered

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 19:14:56 pm »
Chicane - I just made those flapjacks and they're delicious!! Though that is a lot of butter!!! Mine are quite floppy and I'm wondering if I should have cooked them more. Are yours hard or floppy like mine? That sounds like a personal question doesn't it???

xxx
Anna x

Offline Chicane

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 10:54:45 am »
Hey Anna -

did you use my recipe or the one I linked to? They are a bit floppy - I've tried baking them at a lower heat for longer and that seems to help, and keeping them really thin too. Is that a lot of butter? I put in extra because I take out the sugars they need something to keep them combined...if i could get hold of decent peanut butter here I would add some of that (or almond butter) to see if that helps with flavour and with stickiness. I must say when Isaac eats them there is a trail of oats left all over the place, but it just adds to the trail of raisins, biscuits, half eaten apple quarters, squished banana and whatever that red stuff is in the corner. I am still experimenting with trying to get them more like commercial muesli bars...will let you know of any advancements.

As far as other floppy things, yes, mine are floppy, what can you do after 17 months of breast feeding!

xo