Author Topic: Long car trip for 6 month old  (Read 1431 times)

Offline story3girl

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: March 09, 2011, 14:05:08 pm »
We have to take a 7 hour drive this weekend with my 6 month old to go to a wedding.  Because we are far from family, we've done car rides with her before, but the last time we did she was only 3 months old and slept most of the time.  So much has changed!  She's such an active baby now, I don't know what to do for her long long A times when we're cooped up in the car. So far,  I've thought of:

Soft toys she can manipulate (I worry about flying rattles if we stop suddenly)
Songs (we love They Might Be Giants kid CDs in the car. . . probably more than she does)
Sitting in the back and talking or reading to her

but so much of her A time at home is floor/exercise time, and even if we stop at rest stops or picnic areas, I can't really put her on the floor, and we certainly can't stop for a whole A time or we'd never get there, lol.

Any ideas?

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
Re: Long car trip for 6 month old
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 14:23:07 pm »
We did about 7 hours when DS was 7 months old and just strting to move around rolling and beginning to commando crawl. Luckily for us he was big enough to be on a forward facing seat which helped as he could see out of the window.

We Bought him a couple of new soft toys with interesting bits on - one of which was a large musical elephant that he still plays with sometimes!!

We made sure we scheduled stops for his milk an snack times and he was actually really good at taking his naps between the stops.

Hope it goes well!