Author Topic: Help! 2.5 m/o won't nap longer than 45 min...  (Read 840 times)

Offline Maltwin1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help! 2.5 m/o won't nap longer than 45 min...
« on: March 10, 2011, 03:21:47 am »
For the last 2 weeks my 2.5 month old's naps have been getting worse and worse. At this time last month my biggest dilema was whether or not to wake him up when he was sleeping so peacefully during the day, but now he hits the end of that first sleep cycle and wakes right up. I've tried the Shush/Pat and Wake-to-Sleep with marginal success. Its really a coin toss as to whether either of them will work on a given day. Some times its just impossible to get him back to sleep or keep him asleep. I know he's still tired because he wakes up yawning and is fussy during his awake time. Just today I decided to try changing his routine to at 3.5 hour instead of a 3 to see if I was trying to force a nap before he was ready, but its just left him even more tired.

How can I help him? I hate seeing my normally super happy baby groggy and exhausted.

Here is our 3 hour routine that we've been on for the last couple of weeks:

He wakes sometime between 6 & 7 AM, but I'll use 7:

E 7:00

A 7:30 - 8:30 consisting of watching the mobile in his swing, 10-15 min on his play mat, making faces and talking to each other until he starts getting fussy or yawning.

S 8:30- 9:15 actual sleep

9:15 - 10:00 trying to keep him asleep/back to sleep

E 10:00

A 10:30 - 11:30 Same as above...maybe a walk or hanging out in the back yard

S 11:30 - 12:15  Try to keep asleep/back to sleep until 1:00

E 1:00

A 1:30

S 2:30

E 4:00

A 4:30

S 5:30 - 6:15 Try to keep down until 7:00

E 7:00 First cluster feed

A 7:30 Short A time to get a catnap in

S 8:00 Catnap

E 9:00 Second cluster feed

S Bedtime directly following feeding

He usually sleeps until 2:30 or 3:00 AM when he wakes for a feeding, but occasionally has night waking at 1:30. He will sleep until anywhere from 5:30 -7:00 AM. When he wakes before 6:00 I try to get him back to sleep for a while longer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Help! 2.5 m/o won't nap longer than 45 min...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 04:15:41 am »
Have you seen this one? http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=649.0 Rather than W2S or pat/sh, it's more a case of helping the baby transition by putting them back to sleep before they waken fully. Just another approach. :)

Offline Maltwin1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 05:00:19 am »
Thank you so much for posting this! Its like I could have written this myself when it comes to him waking up tired! I'd even noticed him yawning in the morning before I even get him out of the crib, but I just assumed he was just waking up slowly or something.

Had she dropped the early AM feeding by the time she stopped getting cranky before naps?

Helping him sleep through the night and extending his naps sounds like a dream come true from where I'm sitting now!

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 12:28:42 pm »
We had to help her drop that feed so she wouldn't wake up tired - that helped set the stage for the rest of the day then. Still took a while to extend that first A time, but  once we got rid of the EW and then got her used to sleeping thru the 45-minute thing, , the rest fell into place fairly well.