Author Topic: Is it bad to just give baby jars all the time?  (Read 4961 times)

Offline kiz8888

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Is it bad to just give baby jars all the time?
« on: March 10, 2011, 08:25:57 am »
Hi there,

My little boy is 6months and 2wks old and I guess we started weaning when he turned 6 months old. We initially tried to do blw as that's what I did with my first little boy (now 2.5yrs old) and it was great, but with my 2nd ds, he just could get anything to his mouth. He's been taking less and less formula and I was at the end of my tether for a few days so I decided to go down the 'traditional' weaning route...however, so far I've only once boiled up a carrot and mashed it, and he wouldn't put any of it in his mouth. I don't know if that's because, previous to this I've just been giving him jars, and Ella's Kitchen pouches as I was a bit in denial of having to wean this way and really didn't want to have to start pureeing things.

He seems to be getting on okay with the jars so far, but what i'm wondering is, is this the wrong thing to do? I just don't know if I can do the pureeing thing...i'm still hoping that by giving him finger foods with every meal, he'll suddenly start getting the hang of blw and I won't have to give him the soft stuff anymore.

Has anyone else weaned by only giving jars.....should I give in and just start pureeing things? This is all so new to me, I don't have a clue what i'm doing.

Thanks in advance

Kirsten x

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: Is it bad to just give baby jars all the time?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 08:48:57 am »
I gave a lot in the early days and all it did was constipate her. She soon got bored of them as well as I was only prepared to use organic preservative free ones.

So I started to puree - but nice meals not a single veg etc as she had no interest in those.

She has really taken to BLW since about 8 mths though.

Offline kiz8888

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 08:57:43 am »
Thanks...can I ask what kind of things you made as purees? I'm wondering if he wouldn't touch the carrot as he's kind of used to the mix of flavours in the jars iykwim?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 09:15:32 am »
I only did single purees for a short while with DD1 and then like Liz moved onto meals as well as finger foods. 

I had a couple of annabel karnal recipe books and used those.

I am going to start weaning DD2 soon and I'm going to do similar. What I'm thinking is a few weeks of single foods just to make sure shes no reactions to anything then move onto meals. Am going to make enough for us to eat as a family and enough to freeze several portions for the baby.

I remember the recipes for stew and chicken casserole were lovely so hoping to find more.

HTH x

Offline GingerNut

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 10:14:12 am »
Mine is loving the Annabel Karmel recipes too, and it's easy to adapt them to include different flavours.

Once we got past the first 3 weeks or so of just giving a single thing for a few days, I spent a weekend steaming, pureeing and freezing loads of fruit and veg - that first time I did carrot, sweet potato, butternut squash, apple, pear, peach and plum. That way I had plenty of options and was never stuck for something to feed her, and it was a good three weeks before I needed to top it up! At that stage I added courgette (which she detests), broccoli, cauliflower, potato, and a few other things, and that did us for another few weeks.

At that stage I started doing meaty dishes, so now I do a stew-type thing for her every second weekend or so and freeze that; at the moment we've portions of chicken, lamb, beef and fish dishes as well as various vegetables and fruit, so we can keep things varied.

It's not so bad, really, if you do it in batches and freeze. I don't have much option here as we tried a couple of Ella's Kitchen pouches at one stage (I was in despair about her texture problems and though commercial food might work better for her than homemade). She didn't like them at all and I found them absolutely vile, so we're sticking with homemade!

Offline kiz8888

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 10:57:44 am »
Thanks for your replies. I'm on the Annabel Karmel website now having a look. Is it worthwhile getting her book then do you think? I think i'm going to have to start pureeing stuff myself as it's going to cost me too much money to buy the jars all the time, plus i'd rather he was getting homemade food as opposed to shop bought.

Thanks