Author Topic: Reading to 6mo - how to  (Read 2214 times)

Offline pixelbox

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 10, 2011, 21:12:33 pm »
Hi,
Just wondering how I can start to get my 6mo DS to be interested in books. I tried reading to him but all he wants to do is grab the books and put them in his mouth. I've read other people's posts where reading is part of their wind-down routine or bedtime routine. This will never work with DS as he will not sit still.

Offline Mama2boys

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 247
Re: Reading to 6mo - how to
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 21:40:44 pm »
it didnt work for us as well this time round, but to make sure DS2 is as into books as DS1, we keep a lot of books around him at playtime and read them at playtime ecven if its 1-2 pages and I let him play with the books so he gets familar with them IYKWIM

make loads of funny faces, noises and stuff to keep them excited. It worked for DS1 who is a book addict and his latets hobby is to make his own books! he draws the pictures and then asks me to write out what it means and sometime she writes a few words himself!
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 21:57:10 pm »
I taught my DS to turn the pages on books (at first with cloth books, now he can do it with paper books if I flick up the edge for him!) so he feels like he is actively participating in the reading. I also point out different things as he looks at them and he seems to really love books  :D

He eats his cloth books but not the paper ones as I don't let him!

DH reads a book with DS frequently as well so he's getting a good example from both of us.

Maybe you can encourage your LO to turn the pages too?

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 22:25:10 pm »
Maybe you can encourage your LO to turn the pages too?

great idea, the opne the flap books are a bit hit at our house
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline jendewit

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 20:11:16 pm »
I use it as a bit of a cuddle time thing.  I put him forward facing on my lap.  When he was 6 mo I just would read the same book once everyday and it was a short one.  I found his attention wouldn't last long at that age.  Eventually I added a new book, but even now at 16mo he still likes only a few.  I also taught him how to flip the pages and he loves that.

Offline emily3434

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 15:14:54 pm »
We always give him a book to "eat" while we read another book. :)

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 17:01:00 pm »
The open the flaps/ 'peekaboo' books are a big hit on our house with our 8 month old.  He will often sit absolutely still while I read to him but does like to grab the flaps & turn the pages.

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 19:00:05 pm »
I started at 6 months. DS still couldn't sit up on his own! I would sit him in my lap or in his chair. We started with a very small board book full of babies faces. He loved it and soon learned to turn the pages himself. Yeah, he ate it. Yeah he probably swallowed some paper but its cool. At this age they love black and white images, images of faces and patterns. DS is now a total book addict (19 months) we've never had any trouble with him tearing pages. I have always given him paper books from the start. We do books after dinner and before bath and bed, so its not strictly part of wind down but it is part of the evening ritual.

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 19:44:36 pm »
I lie on the sofa with DD next to me and hold the book above her. She loves books. I have some great pics of her enthralled in the book but I won't post them as they are of me unwashed in PJs. It's so cute how she looks from the book across to me, smiles, then back to the book.

I want to get some bath books too. Hope your DS loves reading. :)

*Nicola*