Author Topic: Elimination Diet  (Read 7250 times)

Offline bug_blues70

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 25
Re: Elimination Diet
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 12:56:35 pm »
Well, no screaming last night! I'm going to be very careful when I add in other grains as well.

In hindsight it was the preservatives and additives and the salicylates that were causing all the problems as I was dairy/soy/ free from the moment he was born and additionally egg and wheat free at 3 weeks old.

Wow Elo!! You have iron will!!! Do you eat soy/dairy/wheat/egg now that you know it's salicylates and additives? Or is he intolerant to those too?

Megan

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 23:32:44 pm »
This is the bad news about the diet Megan!  I still haven't got around to doing all the food challenges!  They can't be done if they are sick, teething, sleep training  or within 72 hours of shots.  Since he was 6 months old it has been virtually impossible to get a good run at anything  ::)  I tried wheat 3 times and kept getting slightly mucus poos then he would start teething hardcore!  He teethes for weeks on end.   Teething brings mucus in poos and so does colds/flus.  

We are yet to do soy.  I nefer bothered with dairy as I know it was a problem and I didn't want to put him through it until he was 1 (as I need to know if he can drink eat various milks).  I did egg at about 7 months though and he passed!  I always had a hunch he would grow out of that one as it was more about the sulphur making him gassy  with explosive egg smelling poos from the eggs as opposed to the protein being a problem.  So when his gut matured he bit has could handle them.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:31:49 am by EloysH »

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2011, 01:24:22 am »
wow that's really interesting. I guess any ED is more complicated than just not eating certain things. I guess I really have no idea what I'm doing. Last time I tried to add in a food (egg) he screamed for 4 hours that night and the next (which is why I now think it was actually the oats I ate, not the egg) but now I'm scared to try egg again... or anything else ::) I just don't know that I can handle the screaming right now, with Ellen's NW too. :-\

Megan

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2011, 08:03:14 am »
Megan - keep a food diary and a note of when Milo is upset etc - just incase you think one food was the cause and later on are not so sure .... lots of hugs.  It's really tough thinking what you are eating is upsetting your LO but you are being the best Mum by working out what is upsetting him and doing something about it.  It will get easier ....
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline EloysH

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2011, 08:35:12 am »
oh yes for any food challenge I keep logs or any new food I still refer back to them.  Basically just write the food you ate and the symptoms... the date and the day of eating that food.  For example: day 1 egg - settled, Day 2 egg - settled with long NWing etc   Logs for all foods are a good idea in the early days too

Hugs its horrible I know when they are reacting.   I hear you  :-\ and you have a new baby, it must be so hard for you!  That is another reason why its taken me so long to do the challenges, a failed challenge is so hard to handle - unsettledness, tiredness, the downer of failing the challenge that i was very reluctant to stray from the baseline of symptom free!

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2011, 09:02:18 am »
What I did with Murray was bought a day-to-view diary and wrote the food and drink and his poos  :-X on that page at roughly the right time of day to see if I could see any patterns .... was thorough which was good but hard for glancing quickly to see an overview!!
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2011, 13:24:00 pm »
yeah, I need to be better about logging it, I know. I'm ANAL about logging sleep and I still don't do so good at that right now b/c I'm so sleep deprived. That and the fact that it's hard b/c he'll fall asleep and then wake up and be up and down for ages with burps or whatever.

Thanks for all the support!

Megan

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2011, 15:02:46 pm »
day-to-view diary and wrote the food and drink and his poos   on that page at roughly the right time of day to see if I could see any patterns .... was thorough which was good but hard for glancing quickly to see an overview!!
Such a great idea!!  I made up my own and it was super helpful, but never thought to just get a diary DUH!!!! :)

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2011, 19:31:03 pm »
Could brussels srouts make my baby more gassy and usettled as usual? Had some today and had a worse day than yesterday! Could be just my paranoia through.
Jutka - lucky mother to 2 gorgeous babies
Peter 25 Oct 2009 and Julia 28 Dec 2010
Married to a loving and proud husband on 25 Aug 2007

Offline EloysH

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2011, 23:16:54 pm »
brussel sprouts are a gas forming food, if cooked longer than 5 mins will produce sulphur.  If the sulphur is causing problems for your LO you may want to go moderately on the eggs and everything in the onion/leek family.    So make sure they are lightly steamed before eating.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 13:01:04 pm by EloysH »

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2011, 08:43:17 am »
Please help me figure this out! I did something stupid yesterday - had 3 different foods that tbh I thought would all be fine. But I ad a terrible night with 4 sets of mucousy poos, lots of wind and load of nwks.
The foods I had were: brussels sprouts, 2 bananas and salmon.

If I have to go moderately on brussel sprouts and leeks - what do I eat? As these are the low sals ones...

I feel like giving up. Should I not see some improvement by now? This is awful... (sorry for the rant)

Eloise, could you send me the link to the booklet to buy again please?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 08:55:11 am by bjutka1 »
Jutka - lucky mother to 2 gorgeous babies
Peter 25 Oct 2009 and Julia 28 Dec 2010
Married to a loving and proud husband on 25 Aug 2007