Author Topic: Can too many grapes cause chronic Diarrhea?  (Read 11117 times)

Offline Truly Blessed

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 125
Can too many grapes cause chronic Diarrhea?
« on: March 12, 2011, 09:07:37 am »
Hi Everyone,

My DS is just coming through a bout of terrible Diarrhea after almost a week. It was almost white in colour and completely floored his energy. Their has been a stool sample sent off to the hospital for analysis but I have been wracking my brains as to anything I've done differently and the only thing I can think of is that as he has recently become very fond of grapes I have been giving him rather a lot. Probably maximum 10/12 a day (not altogether) cut into small pieces. Thing is after the Diarrhea started he lost his appetite and grapes were the only thing he would eat so I gave him them for the first 3 days of illness (I feel so bad  :'() I finally got it under control by switching cow's milk to Soya and giving him the B.R.A.T. diet plus live yoghurt.

I would appreciate any experience/input on this subject as if I'm right I need to know if he'll be okay with grapes in moderation or whether to cut them from his diet altogether.

:-\.x.

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
Re: Can too many grapes cause chronic Diarrhea?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 09:38:43 am »
Grapes give Scotty the runs, too. So does soya.

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 09:43:32 am »
Grapes can do funny things to people, Alex can't have too many or he gets a bad tummy. Isn't Helen (Ennypen) intolerant to grapes?
]

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 10:36:15 am »
Definitely does here!  I wouldn't say my DS is intolerant to grapes but they do give him diarrhea!  When he was about 12-18 months old the most I would have ever let him have is 2-3 in one day.  He can handle a few more now, but maybe 5-6 in one day is more than enough.  I quarter them so that he feels he has more, and they last him a bit longer. If I gave him 10-12 grapes in one day, he would have diarrhea for 2-3 days, for sure!!! 

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 14:37:49 pm »
Both my girls get diarrhea from grapes (and raisins).  Masyn can handle about 10-15 in a day, Spencer 5 or 6 (cut up, like Mashi said, so it looks like more!) I also try not to give them 2 days in a row either, but sometimes Masyn sneaks them out of the fridge even though she knows what they do to her.
Heidi

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 15:17:04 pm »
Grapes are VERY high in fructose, grape juice even more so. Cut them out for a few days and see if there's any difference, and I'd add in some probiotics to balance the gut flora too.

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 15:34:51 pm »
Hi
We did baby led weaning and grapes went through DD like a dose of salts!! We just tried her every month until eventually they got digested. It took until she was 18mo or so before she could eat them, she's making up for lost time now though!!!

I'd agree with PP, try and avoid them for a while and see what happens.
Formerly 'The Goblin'

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 17:39:35 pm »
Thank you everyone,

I guess it's a good possibility that's the reason then. We'll see if any bacterial infection comes back from the hospital results. He does love his dried sultanas and apricots as well so that's another thing he may have had on the same day. :(  It's ironic because I'm trying to keep his snacks healthy and stay away from the non nutritional junk  :-\ Being a Mummy is really tricky sometimes. It's just it was so bad and such a strange colour that I still find it hard to believe that fruit could be the sole reason, but having said that he's only 13th months so his digestive system is still very young eh  ??? I always slice up the grapes but if I give him them altogether he shoves the whole lot in at once! I will definetely limit them from now on.

x.

Offline Mrs Coops

• ~~Marsha~~
  • Showing Appreciation 43
  • Too busy to visit BW much, but still love it.
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 20:02:40 pm »
Oh dried apricots and raisins had the same effect too, straight through! But she's eating everything now no problems! In fact it's a crisis if she can't have raisins for breakfast!

It does take their bodies a while to accept some foods. x
Formerly 'The Goblin'