Author Topic: Could this be an allergy/intolerance?  (Read 895 times)

Offline aidenmc

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Could this be an allergy/intolerance?
« on: March 14, 2011, 02:58:19 am »
DS is a sweet natured sociable 8mo whose sleep is atrocious! He was diagnosed with reflux at a few months old and is on two meds. He had terrible gas from early on. I eliminated dairy and most soy from my diet and his gas eventually improved. I think it has taken a while to control the reflux, but in the last month or so it has seemed better, although we get flares with teething. He has been slow to adjust to solids - loves them but can become constipated, but we are getting there.

The problem is, he is still often gassy at night - sometimes passes it at every nw and to me it does not seem to be a comfortable process for him. Currently he is waking every hour or less. Has been for the last 3-4 nights. We have had a number of periods of this. He's never sttn, the best night was 3 nws. Now, we obviously have other factors at play (gets OT, falls asleep in my arms - haven't been able to sleep train yet and right now and in complete survival mode), but I have the sense that he is not usually very comfortable at night. Could it be something else? One thought is wheat....
Becky,
Mom to Kieran (10/15/2000); Aiden, (7/ 8/ 2005); and Samuel (7/10/2010)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Could this be an allergy/intolerance?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 12:29:37 pm »
Hi, This sounds like Olly an for us it was egg and wheat - although this was not diagnosed until 12 months when they did scratch tests on him.

Has he been referred to an allergist? Had any tests done yet?

If you think it is wheat then the only way to improve things is to eliminate it from both your diets. You may want to think about eliminating other things too if you really want to know for sure as there is often more than one allergy/intolerance at play.

Does he have any other symptoms - eczema etc?

Offline aidenmc

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 13:02:45 pm »
No other symptoms. The doctor just advised to 'be mean' and ignore his crying. Said that he needs to learn how to handle discomfort like gas etc., which I can understand, but not the CIO part. I guess I will think about eliminating wheat as a start. For the egg, did you eliminate hidden egg as well?
Becky,
Mom to Kieran (10/15/2000); Aiden, (7/ 8/ 2005); and Samuel (7/10/2010)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 13:07:29 pm »
Hmm, it depends on your nature but for us we can never ignore Olly's crying. Prob why we don't have an indepenent sleeper though! I think if I was in pain then I wouldn't want to be ignored.

Yes, I have cut all egg but that is the thing that Olly is most allergic to. If you do take wheat out there are loads of alternatives on the market. I have found a bread and a pasta that are fine. Cakes are a different matter for us but with no egg in our diets as well very hard to eat cake!