Author Topic: EDs and Mucous poo  (Read 6502 times)

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
Re: EDs and Mucous poo
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 21:54:26 pm »
I'm all for breast feeding, but if theres missing links which you cant find it might be better to go onto FF Neocate, THOUGH its really up to you but if you slip up on holiday and theres a reaction your going to kick yourself and it will ruin your holiday

Alyssa we cut everything out except gluten, I dont eat alot anyway so there was never a really super obvious reaction to it but the dietion sid it would of been too

and tbh I think I would of been always trying to find everything and during the time we unfortunatly had Alyssa failing to thrive she is 6 months in a couple of weeks but is just into 3 mth clothes, and thats only in the last 3 weeks she started thriving on neocate

it now gives us near enough a clean slate to start weaning

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 22:43:24 pm »
The formula thought has entered my mind more often than not the past week.  I worry about her health and mine as well tbh.  I can understand the decision to go to formula and if DD wasn't gaining weight I think I would have done it already.  But she is 4 mos old and starting to outgrow 6 mos size so she is doing ok in the weight department.  It is the squirming, jerking and cries of pain while settling for sleep that is breaking my heart and making me think maybe time to give up.  I can't help but feel like I am poisoning her  :'(

Holiday will be impossible to not have slip ups . I think if I just manage expectations, do the best I can while away, try the probiotics for a few weeks then I can decide what to do if no improvement.     

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 00:45:21 am »
I'm so sorry that you're not getting results.  Its heart wrenching for her and you - especially when you don't know that it even is helping.  Especially on so few foods  :-\    I really would be considering formula after a set amount of time has passed.  Kai really was better by 6-8 weeks on the diet, I was eating low to moderate chemical with no allergin foods.

I should probably tell you about the supplements that I have Kai on - prescribed by my naturopath.  She is quite knowledgeable in failsafe, food intolerances and allergy.  She says that the sensitive babies often don't have enough enzymes  required to metabolise the food chemicals, they get more as they mature, the chemicals tend to build up adn they need extra help with the load on their kidneys and liver.   So we give the following to assist him:

1 teaspoon glycine -immune system
3 tabs transfer factor - immune system
2 drops zinc - clearing out toxins
1/2 cap activated B6 - clearing out toxins
1/2 teaspoon probiotic

He has been on these for about 4 months and I really think its the key to him tolerating a higher amount of sals, he is now on tablespoons of high per day + unrestricted moderate.  He is also tolerating some buffalo yoghurt and goat milk.  
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 00:47:37 am by EloysH »

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 09:27:00 am »
Hmm.. I'm very interested.  I've actually been trying to track down a naturopath in London with the same type of qualifications.  The other post you sent me a while back about how yours has really helped you tie it all together got me thinking that maybe that is something we should explore.  We finished with our osteo last week.  He was very happy with her progress and I do really believe he has made a big difference with her reflux.  I know the other piece of the equation, diet and food intols, is up to me though.  THat is where I am hoping a naturopath might be able to help?

On a separate note, does anyone know when it is best to be taking the probiotic? Before meals, after meals, AM or PM?

Offline EloysH

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 11:09:47 am »
Forgot to add that she prescribed a probiotic for K too.  She suggested on empty stomach 20 mins before meals however we give with meals, and she said that's ok.

I wonder if she just has gut damage now that needs to heal?  I  have heard that secondary lactose intolerance is also a by-prodcut of food intolerance - their gut gets damaged and then can't tolerate lactose.  It can also due to oversupply and fast letdown.  It might help to get her on lactease drops and see of her poos improve.   Good to rule out too.  I used to give them directly before every breastfeed for a while there.  If the poos don't improve in 24 hours then the lactose intolerance isn't an issue.  You can buy the drops here from a chemist.  One worth running past the dietician, naturopath or else a lactation consultant.  Everybody I spoke to about them seemed to think it was a good idea at the time.

Yeah I just saw our naturopath today.  It seems I have some major diet sorting out to do now that I am off the ED!  I actually wanted to ask her if she had any contacts in London, but forgot!  Will try to remember to email her.

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 12:46:14 pm »
Oh, that would be great! Thank you - fingers crossed she does know someone.  But will continue searching in the meantime.

I definitely think there is some gut damage and I think she is reacting to things maybe she normally wouldn't be so so sensitive to.  I think my goal is to do the probiotics and keep the diet very simple, low chem, low oxalate and no major allergens for a few weeks to give it time to heal.  If after that, no improvement then I think I have to take a really hard look at switching her to formula.  If improvement though, will start doing challenges.

Interesting point on the lactose intolerance.  I had always ruled it out b/c I had read that lactose intolerance is usually green poo? She is always mustardy yellow - but if I am wrong on the green color then it is definitely worth a shot. I actually stopped in at our chemist down the road just now and they only have Lactease capsules for adults. I'm sure the bigger chemist in town will have the drops though if worth a try to rule it out. It can't hurt right?

Offline EloysH

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 09:16:58 am »
Yay, my naturopath has a colleague who has moved to London!  She has sent an email off tonight for the clinic details... lets hope its not too far away from you.

GOod luck for the next few weeks.  Obviously they will be some of the toughest in your life, but you can do it! Just think, when you go back to a normal low chemical diet, you will be thinking it's heaven!

Have you ever had her IGE levels tested?   

I don't think that there is any harm in taking the drops.    I don't think it HAS to be green. Its more about the frothy nature of the poos, wind, and also can come with mucus. If anything, they will assist with the digestion of the lactose in your milk. 

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 09:34:37 am »
Yay! That is great news.. thank you for checking.  :-*

No, never had IGE levels tested. What is that>?

I will get the drops todaay and get started. You think we would know if it is helping in just 24hrs?

Offline EloysH

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 09:50:41 am »
Yep if you do every feed incl the night feeds- then you should notice a difference in the poos in 24 hours.  (As long as she poos 1-2 times a day).

I am pretty bad with my allergy theory, but basically it indicates whether the body is producing antibodies as a defence against foods, - so if your baby is reacting to something in his /her diet.   Whilst on the RPAH diet is it a little bit silly to do, the allergins should be present in the diet to give a good idea of how severly the immune system is reacting to the foods.   But we did it anyway (along with other bloods) and we did get info out of it - he came out just above the normal range, indicating that he was very sensitive - since at the time he was EBF and my diet didn't contain many allergin causing foods (just fish and eggs).    It was nice to have a medical confirmation, as sometimes I think I make up this diet and his symptoms in my head (well not really, but you do head miles sometimes  ::)

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 10:15:01 am »
havent had time to read in depth sorry, but wondering what you decided with her reflux meds? just that the strawberry flavour in the prevacid would def be high in sals. (i would've thought you'd have pretty good grounds to get omeprazole suspension on NHS tho)  :-*

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 12:04:37 pm »
We did end up switching from Prevacid to omeprazole last month. I was still learning about high sals back then but the artifical flavour didn't feel right to me nad I don't personally like aspartame - I don't have it myself so wasn't comfortable giving it to DD.  She is on omeprazole which seems to be working much better for her.  I don't sense she is reacting from it unlike prevacid.  I give her MUPs but do you think the suspension would be even safer for her?

Eloise, will let you know how we get on with the drops!

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 03:17:58 am »
ok that's good. if she's fine on MUPS then i'd stick with it as it's so much easier to travel with (suspension must be kept cold at all times). my LOs both hated it and DS1 reacted badly to magnesium in it (very very rare) but there's actually prob less ingredients to deal with on MUPS than on suspension anyway.

good luck :-*

oh and on the meats thing... i suspected my LO was sensitive to sals so didnt restrict the amines completely like Elo did so i just stuck with meat from the butcher and supermarket and cooked it normally. i was prepared to do it if i didnt see symptoms settle quickly but i had a much happier boy 1 week after cutting very high sals and limiting high sals to one serve a day. he is super sensitive to sals (ie. can still only tolerate 5tsp moderate sals a day). must look into those supplements Elo mentioned. i was much more cautious giving him meat directly tho and was fussy with getting this as fresh as possible until he passed the amines challenge.

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2011, 17:21:02 pm »
Hi Eloise, Just wanted to see if you ever heard back about the London based naturopath?

Offline EloysH

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2011, 21:22:47 pm »
No not yet!  Will follow it up.

Any closer to a baseline yet?

Offline EloysH

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 10:59:18 am »
Yay, I got her details.  I will email to you.

If anyone else reading this thread is interested in a natruopath trained as a nutritionist for childrens and baby health as well as reproductive and fertility issues, PM me and I can email details to you.  :)