Author Topic: I "think" DS2 may have problems with dairy too  (Read 1271 times)

Offline firsttimemummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
I "think" DS2 may have problems with dairy too
« on: March 14, 2011, 12:28:04 pm »
Just a quick summary of myself and DS1 before I begin ...

I can't drink cold cows milk but am fine with any other dairy (affects my stomach, nose and skin).

DS (just turned 2) is currently on dairy free diet via dietician (although instinct says he is fine with yogurt, etc but not introducing anything until May) - loose stools; he also gets loose stools with soya (and it used to burn his bottom), and a burnt bottom with apples, carrots, oranges/citrus fruit and sometimes tomatoes.  DS has Neocate sachet each day.

DS2 is 3 weeks old today and almost entirely breastfed.  He has formula (Aptimel) now and then and takes it fine.  I have noticed that some days he gets really upset after his milk, bringing up large mouthfuls (sometimes gagging on it, or coughing it up, and it can be quite mucousy rather than just milk).  Sometimes he will go to sleep independently whereas other times he will take a while to settle, and keep wakening up with pains (then settle again until the next pain).  He is also REALLY windy!  As the symptoms vary and are not always there I am starting to think it is my diet, and pretty sure that it is milk-related - as it is often when I have had chocolate or ice cream, etc, etc

We are giving him Infacol to see if that helps. At the moment he has a sore, red bottom and I am wondering if it is the orange flavour in the Infacol that is causing it (his nappy is changed after each feed etc) or something in my diet? DS1 used to get a really red bottom with the above foods but I don't really remember that as a baby (but he didn't have infacol).

Just wondering if others agree it could be milk and whether I should try to avoid ALL sources of dairy.  It is easy enough with DS1 to do dairy free as he eats everything - sadly I LOVE chocolate (I don't like tea/coffee/coke etc so it is my energy boost) and am quite stressed by the thought of my diet affecting DS2 :(

Would welcome any input.  I don't think it is reflux/colic as he has days where he is fine and can be laid down straight after feeds etc without a problem ...
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: I "think" DS2 may have problems with dairy too
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 12:35:09 pm »
Hi, it does sound like it could be milk. I think it is worth you giving up all milk for a week or two and then you should be able to see results. You may have to find an alternative source of energy! I ate loads of sweets for the sugar! Some plain chocolates are dairy free if you like that  :-*

It was at 3 weeks hen Olly's milk allergy showed with vomiting after formula top ups and bad wind at night. I had to give up the top ups and had a newborn attached to me constantly for what seemed like weeks!

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 12:41:10 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply - have been thinking about milk causing problems for a week or so but not wanting to admit it.  Afraid it's only Cadbury's milk chocolate that I like so will need to stock up on sweets (hadn't thought of that!!).  I don't drink milk, it's just when I use it in cheese sauces,etc ... would you suggest ALL traces of dairy or just avoiding large sources such as yogurt, cheese sauces, ice cream, chocolate etc ?

Will see how I get on and speak to doctor at 6 week check about getting sachets of Neocate as back up (assuming DS2 will take it!).  Fortunately Oliver is feeding well and I don't seem to have a lack of milk (despite using formula for a day or 2 after birth as he was jaundiced and not feeding well and getting dehydrated) so should be fine not needing to use formula .... I HATE expressing so don't really want to do that! At the moment he is feeding every 2.5-3 hrs and doing a LONG stretch at night ....
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 12:49:08 pm »
HI, I think if you are going to fo it go for it and take out ALL sources. Would be awful if you went chocolate free for 2 weeks to see no improvement as you needed to have taken it all out. You will read to read labels carefully though - salt and vinegar crisps can contain milk for example! (though guess you know all this with your DS1??)

A lot of Mums also take soy out of their diet too but as you have a history of milk allergies then you may not want to just yet. Just thinking that you could substitute the yoghurts/ice cream etc with soy ones. Olly is OK with soy and we have found some lovey replacements for us.

Great news on your milk supply. I still wonder now if I had problems with mine but hey-ho. It is all good now   :)

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 12:53:59 pm »
Thanks - that is very true about risking chocolate free for no reason!!!  I am quite good at label reading due to DS1 (and am also surprised at what does and doesn't contain dairy!).  Will see how it goes and let you know .... I don't eat much soya either as we make (okay, breadmaker!!) soya free bread for DS and buy bagels etc which are soya free .....

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 13:03:37 pm »
Ohh, have you tried the Alpro soya chocolate pots? GORGEOUS! If you do eat soy they may just keep you sane!

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 13:29:05 pm »
Murray used to eat the vanilla one but I never tried them! Although I love chocolate I don't like many chocolate mousses, etc! - suppose this will give me the push to finally get round to making some nice puddings that DS (and now me) can eat like rice pudding, made with oat milk!

Thanks for your support!

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 20:29:28 pm »
most 70% chocolates are dairy free

also coco is too so you can make your own chocolate cakes or hot chocolate! thats how I get my chocolate fix is hot chocolate as i dont like dark chocolate i got used to it a bit when i was eating it but its just too rich for me

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux