Author Topic: fine on neocate but HATES neocate advanced, anyone else??  (Read 2745 times)

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 100
fine on neocate but HATES neocate advanced, anyone else??
« on: March 16, 2011, 05:34:50 am »
hiya,
just wondering if anyone else has had this? he is fine on regular neocate but wont drink more than 1oz of the neocate advanced (toddler one with extra calcium).

he wont get enuf calcium on regular neocate as he is dropping milk feeds (on his own) and is only taking 2 good ones now.

may have to look at doing a dairy trial again...

kirry

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
Re: fine on neocate but HATES neocate advanced, anyone else??
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:54:36 am »
We only started DS on neocate a few months ago after finally doing a dairy free trial with the dietician ... DS wouldn't drink the Neocate advanced so we started using it in baking, etc and also mixed it with pureed fruit then froze it as ice lollies which he loved.

We now give him pureed fruit with it as a "smoothie" and he LOVES it!!

Until we started Neocate we used oat milk with added calcium and use that for cereal, etc.

Remember as well there are other sources of calcium which are non-dairy.
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 17:57:46 pm »
Hi Kirry, Olly has been prescribed calcium supplements. Somehting to think about maybe?

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 21:08:25 pm »
James would ot take the advance at first but he soon got used to it, however when they tried to move to neocate active that was a whole different story. I did try and persevere but he would not take to it so we wet back to the neocate advance. Could your ds continue with the neocate and also give a calcium supplement. You can get dairy free ones, you might be able to get one on prescription.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 23:19:32 pm »
E switched from Neocate to Neocate Advanced with no problems. J is still on the baby stuff but I'm going to do a dairy trial before thinking about Advanced. He has had absolutely no dairy in any form since I stopped eating it when he was 3 weeks old so I think it's worth a go to see if he can tolerate it.

What's your feeling on how he'll cope with dairy? I think I'd give it a go and if it doesn't go well try smoothies and cooking it in (though my kids have always refused to eat anything that had Neocate in it) as well as giving him some straight to see if he'll get used to it.
Jenny - mama to

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 09:17:46 am »
There are different flavours of the Advanced one - probably still pretty horrible but maybe worth trying?
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 13:25:46 pm »
James liked the banana flavoured one but it did not like him unfortunately.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 10:14:56 am »
sorry it's taken me so long to get back here, thanks so much for your replies.

i cant believe how sensitive he is to the taste difference, he is on neocate LCP so that uses diff oils to the neocate advanced, wouldnt be an issue if going from regular neocate to advanced i think.

we cant get banana flavour, only tropical which is a shame as i'm sure he'd take that!

anyways, went to see dietician. plan is trial yoghurt and then cheese as this is the easiest way to get extra calcium into him (no point looking at cows just yet since he is going off milk feeds). we are on day 7 of yoghurt, started 1tbs and added 1tbs every 2 days, he just had a whole pot today (4tbs) so fx, so exciting to give him something yummy! he hasnt had any dairy since 5wks old! if he goes ok on that then we'll try cheese.

now even with 1 serve cheese and yoghurt he still wont get quite enuf calcium with neocate LCP but will on advanced, so will try a scoop for scoop replacement of the formula (not too hopeful on this as think he will stall at 50/50). if no go then will have to look at other elemental formulas or flavoured neocate or a supplement. i can possibly get enuf extra calcium into him with other foods but he is highly sensitive to salicylates so is on very limited fruits and veggies and the ones that are best for calcium are to high in sals for him. but can look at chickpeas, egg, salmon, etc.

who would have thought being a mum would require being a dietician and a mathematician ::)