Author Topic: What do you give first in the AM? Solids or milk?  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Nb1984

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
What do you give first in the AM? Solids or milk?
« on: March 16, 2011, 06:23:29 am »
Hi there,

I've been feeding my LO her formula at 7am each day & delaying breakfast until about 8.45/9am but even so she is not really interested, I just wondered if I should swap this the other way around?  She is 8 months old, on 3 meals a day & 3 FF a day.

She's already cut her milk down to her 7am bottle is 2-4oz and her 7pm bottle is 5-6oz and then a dream feed of 4-5oz so she isn't taking much milk which is why Im keeping her DF for now.

Thanks for your help!xxx

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Re: What do you give first in the AM? Solids or milk?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 12:13:10 pm »
Hi :)

My DD2 is 16mos and still not interested in her breakfast until about 2-2.5 hrs after her milk feed. I think some children are just less hungry in the morning than others. Like my DD1, she'd have her breakfast one hr after her milk even from 7mos and would always eat a huge breakfast, and still will at 4.5yo :) She's super hungry at wake up, while DD2 likes to take her time.
Have you tried serving her breakfast later? If possible with your daily routine? I think you're right not to limit her milk intake anymore as milk should be the main source of nutrition until 1yo. If this isn't an option, how about mixing some of her morning milk into cereal for breakfast?

Vick
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 12:20:03 pm »
We've always had to give solids before milk in the mornings. DS would not touch ANY breakfast otherwise. He'd have his milk around 1/2 hour - 1 hour after his breakfast, and still drain a full bottle. Having his breakfast first didn't effect the amount of milk he drank, which as Vick said is something to look out for as you don't want you DD taking any less milk because she's had breakfast first.

Just thought I'd give a different persepctive! :)
Catherine x

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 12:33:25 pm »
The minimun amount they need from 6-12 months is 20oz a day, this does include the milk in solids but obviously more is better. Are you only giving milk morning, bedtime and dreamfeed now? At 8 months most babies are still on 4 bottles a day, we went to 3 bottles at 8.5 months and then cut out the nightfeed so my DD was having milk at wake up, after lunch, and bedtime. In your case I wouldn't swap to solids first - she needs the milk more. We put breakfast first when DD was 13 months because she was refusing breakfast.

Can you post your EASY - especially the feeding parts for us to see?

Laura

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 12:54:54 pm »
We also did solids before milk because she wouldn't eat the other way around but this way she drank a full bottle (6-8 ounces)  This is also the way our ped suggested we do it but everyone's routine is different.

Offline Nb1984

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 18:58:26 pm »
Thank you for all your advice, I tried some solids this morning but as it's out of routine for her she wasnt keen on the idea but I shall persevere for the next few days, thank you xxx