Author Topic: How to make her like drinking water?  (Read 934 times)

Offline Marie-O

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cute little feet
How to make her like drinking water?
« on: March 16, 2011, 23:29:42 pm »
Hello!!
My DD is 5,5 month and we will introduce solids in about 1 week.
We began giving her water 2 weeks ago but she doesn't like it, she makes funny faces and spits it out! We've being very consistant giving her water 2 or 3 times a day, we've tried in a bottle and a zippy cup, but no luck.

Any suggestions or tricks in how make her like to drink water?

I know we are not in a rush, since she is EBF she doesn't need water right now...but she'll need it someday and we want to start sooner than later.

Thanks in advance!

Marie
Marie

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: How to make her like drinking water?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 23:40:06 pm »
I wish we'd taken pictures of Natalie when she was early on in solids. We used the itty-bitty plastic cups from IKEA that come in the children's section with toy dishes and flatware, I think they hold maybe an ounce or two. I'f half-fill about 4 or 5 of them and just let Nat experiment with picking them up and trying them. We also modeled for her, picking up our cups VERY dramatically, taking sips, and doing one of those "AAAH!" noises at the end, and she'd often want to imitate us. She spilled FAR FAR more than she drank for the first couple of months, which is why we used so many cups at first - honestly, it looked like we were getting our kid to do shots! ::) But after a couple of months she was happily drinking a couple ounces of water with each meal, and she really didn't need more at that point yet.

Your DD may also prefer a particular temperature, so try warmer or cooler water. Also, if you're using tap water, she might taste the chlorine in the water; we used filtered water (Brita pitcher). I would NOT try adding sugar or juice to the water, though - after that, plain water won't taste as good.

Offline Marie-O

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cute little feet
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 23:45:32 pm »
Thanks so much! Actually we are letting her experiment too, but the smallest Avent bottle is a bit big for her yet. I'll find those Ikea plastic cups.
It's a great idea to model for her, she is very interested in the food we eat and drink! I'll keep trying and being patient.

Thanks again :)
Marie

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 01:34:37 am »
Some party stores sell plastic shot glasses you could try, although I'd be nervous about the plastic since they're made for adults and who knows what the plastic has in it. Back before we knew about BPA we used those when Nat's hands got big enough, and she loved to pour water from cup to cup to cup, all different sizes. :)