Author Topic: TV  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Pixxie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
TV
« on: March 17, 2011, 08:28:25 am »
I try not to have the TV on much in the day but when it is on Lyra can't take her eyes off it. I am guilty of letting her watch Dora the Explorer and Peppa Pig if I am busy and need a shower etc. because it captures her attention for a good 20mins. It never occurred to me that this could be mega overstimulating for her and now I don't know what to do! She really loves watching it and squeals in delight at cartoons but I don't want to do her any harm. Is it ok to let her watch occasionally? If she is getting overstimulated I can't tell that she is! xx

Offline Lyrebird

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: TV
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 18:23:01 pm »
Hi Pixxie. I read your post and have something to offer. Our lactation consultant here in the States told us about some studies that showed that "when excessive amounts of television" are watched by them at this age it showed to have a negative influence on their brain synapses and firing of information later in life. She said, however, that this was with EXCESSIVE amounts. I think a bit here and there is okay. I have a DD who is 3 months and 3 days today. I never let her watch, but occasionally, like this morning, when I have no option because I HAVE to make something to eat for myself, I let her watch for 5 minutes. The only thing I would say is to try to put on shows that have static shots and not things with quick cuts and jumps. No Transformers with Shia LeBouf. I usually find a cooking show or talk show because they don't have quick cuts and edits. Again, I always find something else for her, but some days they are easily bored and let's face it...they do zone out on the tv and it can buy you a peaceful few minutes here and there. As long as it's not your go to...I'd say do it for your own sanity. Your job is immensely hard enough as it is. Don't feel guilty about needing a peaceful 10 minutes to shower and or eat. My 2 cents.

Offline Pixxie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 22:16:03 pm »
Thank you very much, I was starting to think I must be the only person who lets the TV babysit when desperate. I dont plonk her in front of it all day, just a little bit here and there, about 20mins over the course of the day. xx

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 22:24:40 pm »
I don't think a little TV is harmful, we tried not to let DS watch it at all for the first few months. DD had a lot more exposure in her early days just because she has an older brother.

To make me feel better about having the TV on they are only allowed to watch the cbeebies channel - nice mostly educational programmes made for pre-schoolers with no adverts! We do have a selection of DVDs too, but we try to be careful about what they watch.

I agree with PP though - your sanity (and cleanliness ;)) is also important!

Laura