Author Topic: feel like I can't go on anymore - please help  (Read 19810 times)

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: feel like I can't go on anymore - please help
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2011, 11:15:55 am »
When he was young I would feed, but he tended to wake 3 x times a night for alot of months there. We used to have a bewitching hour aound 4-5 am where he was awake, from about 3 weeks to 12 weeks old.  If I had already fed less than 3 hours ago I would do my best to hold him  upright  in my bed, until he was ready to fall back asleep in my arms.  Then I would put him on the cot.  Exhausting!     

Then I discovered a food thickener, and this problem of long NW at night went away within a few days!   His refluxing was very frequent, I could hear the liquid whoosing up his throat and see him jerk with every little reflux coming up.    The thickener really stoped that.  I kept feeding him 3 x a night though for ages, I was terrible at weaning the night feeds, even though he was an independent sleeper though the day  ;) 

By the time he moved downstairs, (4 months old) I would just hang out with him on a chair in his room until he was asleep and pop him in the cot asleep or nearly asleep.  Do what you got to do though, everything can be weaned later,  its more important that you get some sleep now so you can keep your milk supply up and have a shred of sanity  :)

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2011, 11:53:51 am »
The thing is I'm not even sure she def has reflux or how much problems the reflux is causing and how much is her tummy cramping. What we can def feel is her little tummy cramping a couple of hours after feeds and you know she is gonna start crying within seconds. When she cries after feeds (30-45 mins after a feed), she would dribble quite a lot so that makes me think it's reflux. Have you found that? She has been on 15mg of losec for 5 days now so surely that should have kicked in?

Gosh, you were so much better at the sleeping!!! Sleep is terrible for us. Always AP day or night! During the day it's the pram or in the sling and at night she goes over on the boobie and placed beside me while asleep. I kept trying to put her in her moses basket but she always wakes up and the whole thing starts all over and I just feel shattered all the time... Plus every time I let her cry even a few seconds to see if she would settle, she wakes my wee boy. It's just a disaster...
Jutka - lucky mother to 2 gorgeous babies
Peter 25 Oct 2009 and Julia 28 Dec 2010
Married to a loving and proud husband on 25 Aug 2007

hrk

« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2011, 12:15:48 pm »
We had LOTS of gas before we went on the hypoallergenic.  (I am not talking a lot, I am talking LOTS.)  I do wonder about any other foods that could be causing that.  The poos are getting better, and the gas is still constant?  It doens't change with anything you are eating?  Do you think the bfing latch is ok?  Could it be the reflux med?  I am wondering about that being the culprit; perhaps google to see if gas is a side effect mentioned for losec.  You have eliminated so much, I just wonder what is still behind the gas...  

With regards to the reflux, it doesn't hurt to try the thickener.  Our pedi said to try thickening with cereal.  I wouldn't use cereal.  As Eloys mentions, the thickener is really better (and is likely free of things you need to avoid).  For us, the cereal didn't make things better or worse.  Because I didn't see any results one way or the other, I didn't continue that very long.

It is hard to say where reflux and food intollerance meet and which could be causing what. 

What did you decide about the dosing?  Are you still doing one or did you break it in to two?  Any success in giving it prior to feeds?

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2011, 14:41:20 pm »
One thing I found helps sometimes when we get LOTS of gas is probiotics. Nat used to have horrible room-clearing farts as an infant so I put some probiotics on my nipple right as i was about to latch her on and they were gone the next day. There are powders you can get to dissolve in drinks for babies and toddlers - I learned later on that infants naturally have a different set of gut flora than older kids/adults but even the adult probiotics helped with the gas.

(My reasoning for them was that I was GBS+ so I got IV abx during labor and I figured she got them in her system during birth thru the cord, so went on that assumption. In that case, a single casual dose seemed to make the difference.)

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2011, 19:11:21 pm »
Which probiotic did you use, Deb?

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2011, 21:55:52 pm »
Honestly, I don't remember any more - was almost 6 years ago. LOL But there are plenty out there, some of which are dairy-free for those concerned about that - I believe Culturelle makes a dairy-free one for kids and adults but don't know about babies.

Found this with a Google search for "Dairy-free infant probitics" - http://www.udoerasmus.com/products/probiotics_infants_en.htm - along with some others.

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2011, 03:04:07 am »
Give the new dose a full two weeks before you decide if its working or not...

We have had plenty of feed to sleep here too... I have had to wean it several times  :)

White noise in both kids rooms is a blessing ... my 3 yeas old loves sleeping with his "rain noise" now  - neither wakes up.  Essential if you are doing any sleep training later on.

Now this topic has really gone off on a tangent  ;)  Might be good to post new questions as separate topics  :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2011, 12:37:31 pm »
Jutka - if you have specific questions about reflux I would suggest that you ask them over on the http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=13.0 board as you will get more eyes on them than on the FA board  :-*

Offline bjutka1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2011, 19:12:33 pm »
Thanks guys. Went to see the allergy people again! Don't know how they do it but they always manage to upset me. At 11 weeks Julia was 5600 gr and today (3 weeks later) she is 5950gr. They are saying that she dropped from 75 percentile to 50 percentile and they would need to keep an eye on this.

They also said that she is still likely to react to something in my diet and are now suggesting cutting rice out! Anybody had a bub reacting to rice?

They also said that babies with allergies are only meant to breastfeed for a maximum of 9 months - after this, it's better not to. Apparently, this is new research. Anyone heard this?

hrk

« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2011, 19:19:32 pm »
No, I haven't heard that, but I haven't been researching.  Maybe Eloys has. 

As for the rice, people with eosinophilic esophagitis could still be sensitive to rice.  I know I posted a link about that, but I'm not sure you had a chance to look at it?  Check out the signs/symptoms.  ONe is "reflux" that doesn't respond to reflux meds.  My dh does have this.  Two endoscopies confirmed.  But he is able to eat quite broadly (saying that he has also had two food impactions requiring an er visit).  EEKS.

http://www.apfed.org/ee.htm   I wonder if they are considering this...

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2011, 19:32:26 pm »
At 11 weeks Julia was 5600 gr and today (3 weeks later) she is 5950gr. They are saying that she dropped from 75 percentile to 50 percentile and they would need to keep an eye on this.
Make sure they are using a breastfed baby growth chart.  No advice, just hugs
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

hrk

« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2011, 19:34:57 pm »
Maybe they can tell you were to look for the info; or have them print a copy of the findings/summary.  ;-)