Author Topic: Another pair of eyes please!  (Read 1427 times)

Offline AvasMummy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 22, 2011, 09:35:53 am »
Hi, Thanks in advance for your help!

So took DD to the Dr with horrific eczema (the only thing left uncovered was her arms) and I suspected a cows milk intolerance but the Dr told me that as I am EBF that dairy cannot be passed through and intolerance only occurs with FF babies?!? Confused?!? So I was wondering if some of you mummies with experience of cows milk intolerance could have a look at DD symptoms and tell me what you think. The symptoms came right around the same time as the eczema so I know they must be connected (stupid Dr!).

DD seems fine in the morning and early afternoon although she does spit up alot after feeds but come late afternoon through to bedtime she just continuously cries and wants to be held all the time. It's not a grizzling cry and i've never heard it before until recently it literally sounds like she's screaming in pain and she wont let me put her down not even for a nap even though DD is seriously tired by the end of the day. So this screaming starts pretty much like clockwork straight after her 2nd nap of the day, refuses CN although clearly tired and even if I get her to sleep through lots of AP she wakes up after 10 mins screaming and this carries on until BT. At BT feed she fusses at the breast and then screams after feed but weirdly as soon as i've calmed her down she STTN without a peep. During the day she is a nightmare.

As I said DD also has really bad eczema, red cheeks and eyebrows, a few weeks ago had runny green poop (but that seems to have stopped now), very gassy, spits up, stuffy runny nose and just damn right miserable?!? My happy baby has disappeared!

Strangely on sunday she was back to her happy self again and the only thing I can think of that I didn't eat was cereal I still had the odd cup of tea with milk in it. Then yesterday I had cereal in the morning and come 2:30 pm she was again screaming the house down?!?

So if it is a milk intolerance could it be that it doesn't pass through to her until later in the day and that's why she's always in pain nearer late afternoon??

Any help is welcome I want my happy baby back.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Another pair of eyes please!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 18:23:58 pm »
Hi,

Milk protein certainly can be passed through breast milk! Naughty doctor!

Is your LO being treated for reflux? How old is your LO and how long have you had these symptoms for?

I am unsure about whether the crying later on in the day would be a symptom of MPI TBH. Maybe some others mums may have some experience of this?

It may be worth a try taking diary out of your diet for a couple of weeks to see if things improve? Unfortunately there is not test for MPI it is just a matter of eliminating dairy and seeing if things improve.

xx

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 18:58:42 pm »
I agree it can be passed through into your milk and thats terrible of your doctor to say it cant

only way to know is to cut dairy from your diet for 2 weeks

We started seeing an improvvement after a few days

I would find some stuff on google saying about it passing through into milk next time you see your doctor

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline AvasMummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 19:24:28 pm »
Thanks girlies! I knew the Dr was talking rubbish...she probably just wanted to get rid of me...so im changing Dr's anyway after that! Not happy!

Buntybear - DD is not being treated for reflux. She's had symptoms like this on and off since newborn but it's only been the last 3 weeks that they've been really really bad. Come to think of it they got worse around the same time she had her last set of injections....might just be coincidence though?!? Oh she's nearly 5 months.

So today I haven't had any dairy and am keeping a food diary and although DD was a little fussy (but I did use frozen EBM to mix with her cereal so may still have milk protein in it?!?) she was loads better her cry was actually a normal baby cry rather than a painful scream....RESULT! So i've been to the supermarket and bought all the dairy free stuff I could find (including dairy free easter eggs!)...fingers crossed! 

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 19:29:44 pm »
Dr's can be really rubbish one of mine told me reflux was a bit of wind... im on my 3rd child i bloody know when they have wind

I have a friend from a forum I run who's just joined here because at 6 months her babys suddenly got reflux

and our reflux suddenly got worse a couple of weeks ago when she hit 4 months, which the ladies on the reflux board tell me is usually quite normal for it to get like that

Glad that it seems a bit better

Just one small warning, Alot of dairy free stuff contains soya and soya can also be bad for MPI and its common for MPI babies to be milk potien and soya intollerent for us soya causes a reaction simular to milk

Offline AvasMummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 20:07:23 pm »
Thanks for the soya tip...noted! Hmm I'll keep an eye on it but I don't really know anything about reflux...but if it does get worse at 4 months then that's true for DD down to the exact week?!? Puzzling! How will I know if it's reflux or MPI? Do they have similar symptoms or are there differences I can look out for? Or do they sort of come as a nice little package to make babies and mummies miserable?

Thanks again :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 20:10:37 pm »
Here is some info on reflux...

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=654.0

Dairy free easter eggs?  ;D

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 22:00:52 pm »
you can get dairy free easter eggs in sainsburys (or could last year) last year tescos and asda said they were doing them but never did

It can be simular signs alot of people us included find that if we have dairy it makes the reflux worse

Offline AvasMummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 18:47:28 pm »
Yep Sainsburys have loads of dairy free easter eggs this year and easter bunnies! :)

So been dairy free for a few days now and already seeing improvements, face is no longer red, eczema is fading, spitting up less, 'wet burps' have gone and no screaming! woohoo! So on that note do I need to see a Dr or anyone with regard to the reflux (must've been dairy causing it) or do I just kind of ride it out at home??

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 19:31:05 pm »
You shoud see someone now you have confirmed dairy intollerence so you under a dietion

If the reflux has eased now that your dairy free i would leave it and just sort the mpi

Offline AvasMummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 19:35:47 pm »
Shall I just book an appointment with the Dr and explain what has happened? Sorry probably a really stupid question but I have absolutely noo idea about any of this stuff! What sort of things will they ask me? Whats the procedure after that? Thanks Louisa

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 19:49:11 pm »
i would, just go in tell them you saught further advice and cut dairy which has improved and you require a refferal for ava to be seen by a dietion

then they should sort your refferal out if they refuse say I really think I need to be reffered to the Dietion and require a second opinion but tbh they should do it anyway, even if they dont belive you so then they dont have to deal with you anymore iykwim

I don't know how old ava is but after that when you have your refferal if its before weaning they just confirm symtums ect they might give you some basics for weaning but ours sorted another apt for us before we wean

After weaning, they discuss what they have eaten when what happens after they eat things how long after ect
and then decide how often they need to see you depending on how likely things are to change, dd#2 was every 3 months due to low weight and then when we improved it went to 6 months